Movies and files in external HDD gets deleted when you secure empty trash bin

Reaction score
Guys, have you experienced your files gets deleted when you already saved it in your external HDD then you perform secure empty trash in your MAC OS? I am also using Tuxera NTFS and MACfuse in my HDD so i can save more than 2 GB of movies but I am not sure if this is relevant or somewhat causing it too. I just find it weird that it is already in my HDD and when perform that secure trash even it is not attached, the next time i attach my HDD, for some reason it syncs it as well and deletes the file.

The reason I perform secure empty trash is to completely free up my space in my MAC. I notice that when you perform just the normal delete, it still consumes the space unless you complete secure empty the trash.

Any thoughts and advice?

MAC OS Lion version 10.7.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no need to use "secure empty trash" in order to free up space on your external hard drive. The external hard drive must be attached when you empty the trash otherwise the files you deleted on it will not be removed. Also Tuxera NTFS is buggy and has been known to cause corruption. Use Paragon NTFS instead. ($19.95)

OP
I
Reaction score
Hey chscag,

Thanks for the reply. I am not using secure empty in emptying my HDD. i used that when deleting my files in my MAC but for some reason it seems that it syncs with my HDD when i connect it to my laptop. When i say sync, it also deletes my files in my external HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.