Resuming ddrescue on a different destination drive?

Reaction score
I need to recover a 3TB USB HD that I dropped on the ground. I started making a copy yesterday by running ddrescue in Terminal entering:

sudo ddrescue -v -f -n /dev/disk3 /Volumes/Seagate/disk_rescue.dmg disk_rescue.log

I've only just learnt how to use ddrescue so I was thrilled that it worked at all. It got to 1071 GB rescued (with no errors so far!) when I realized that a 2TB destination drive is going to fail when it runs out of space - oops.

I interrupted the copy with Ctrl-C and ran out and bought a 4TB hard drive to use as the destination drive instead. 4TB because I read that it needs to be bigger that the input drive to have enough space for the log file.

So my question: can I resume the copy of my failing hard drive on the new 4TB destination drive? Seems like it might be possible since I created a log file, but would I have to manually edit the command line inside the log file to match the new output path?

I'm super new at this, so no answer is too detailed!

Reaction score
ddrescue can resume with the -C option, you just have to copy the disk image and log to the other drive and adjust the path in your command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.