Bluetooth not working any more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I'm trying to sync an iPaq with my Powerbook using MissingSync. I've previously used PocketMac and synced OK - well at least the sync has happened, although PocketMac has tended to make a hash of it all, which is why I've swapped.

The iPaq will sync fine using USB or Wifi, but not Bluetooth. It makes a connection to the laptop but doesn't go any further.

In troubleshooting this I noticed there is something odd about Bluetooth on the Mac. If I try to initiate a pairing from the Mac, as it searches for devices I get "An error occurred attempting to perform the search". It eventually does find devices but it takes it a good few goes. If I initiate the pairing from the iPaq, it's generally more successful, but still fails about 50% of the time.

I'm running 10.4.4. Having a look around, there seem to be a lot of issues with the Bluetooth Firmware Update which came with this release. I've tried resetting the PRAM and also resetting the PMU, but this hasn't made a difference.

Other Bluetooth activities, such as browsing another device (phone) using BT File Exchange, seem to work OK. It's just this pairing / sync thing which is puzzling.

I'm talking to the Missing Sync people, but I'm wondering whether the problem is with the laptop, not the sync software. Any suggestions anybody?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Out of interest, I got a suggestion from Mark/Space, who make Missing Sync:

In Terminal, type:
sudo killall blued
sudo rm -f /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist
...then reboot.

This has sorted some of my problems - particularly the "An error occurred" problem - but I still can't pair the iPaq properly with the PowerBook, although other devices are fine.

Might be worth a try if anybody else is experiencing problems.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a follow-up, I find I *can* Activesync the iPaq with the Mac over Bluetooth now, even though I can't pair the devices. So the pairing isn't really relevant now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Cool, sometimes bluetooth is a little wonky for me too - maybe i'll try the suggestion from markspace.

Good of you to post the follow-up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.