What causes this bad page loading every now and then *Pic*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD

I get this every now and then, mostly on Firefox, often on Engadget but a few others also :|

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It happens once in a blue moon with every browser that gets stuck. Although I don't know the exact cause, I'm guessing that it's because a browser gets stuck loading a stylesheet (which would take all the links and content and place it where it should go).

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Here's the weird thing, it just happened again to me, on Apple (United Kingdom), but get this, I switched from Firefox to the Chrome browser to load the same link, and Chrome has exact same problem.

Does that change things? What would cause both browsers to pull up the site broken?

1sxzmkB.png

nfO53El.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are connecting over WiFi to a router of some sort. What router is it? It looks like your connection is getting terminated..

FYI, the first thing a browser pulls up when you visit a website is the index page (whatever it may be called) and then it has to begin processing the file. This file, in it's most simplest case could contain something like:
Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Welcome</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Foobar
</BODY>
</HTML>

This would cause the browser to put the title Welcome in the tab or window (depending on browser) and display "Foobar" as the the body.

Virtually all sites now have a stylesheet that goes along the website in the <HEAD> portion like:
Code:
<HEAD>
<LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="/path/to/stylesheet.css">
</HEAD>

The browser would now find this HTML tag in the <HEAD> and used the HREF portion to go looking for the stylesheet.

Now most pages contain a lot of stylesheets, other formatting tags and pictures. The browser has to parse out all that information and then download each of those things to be able to display the entire page contents properly..

If there is an issue with downloading the pictures, you get the broken image with a box in the size of what the image would've been in. If there is an issue downloading one or all the stylesheets, you get the raw text with no formatting to make things look pretty..

Since you are getting both of these things, it points to you have sporadic connection to the server that is terminating while transferring the heavier stuff from a website which is usually the images and possibly the stylesheet..

You may want to do some sustained bandwidth testing on your connection by repeatedly trying to download large/varying size files to see if you notice problems..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
FYI, the first thing a browser pulls up when you visit a website is the index page (whatever it may be called) and then it has to begin processing the file.
It's always called index. ;)

Now most pages contain a lot of stylesheets, other formatting tags and pictures. The browser has to parse out all that information and then download each of those things to be able to display the entire page contents properly..
This is where I think we're running into a problem. It would seem that the stylesheets for each page are getting excluded or truncated along the line somewhere. I've seen this happen before (not often) and usually a refresh solves it.

MDJCM, since the issue seems to be independent of the browser, it looks as if it's a connection issue (much like Raz0r notes). Have you been having any connection issues?

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Yep, but nothing I can put my finger on, large downloads complete, online gaming generally works without cut-outs. I'd say the only time I really see a problem is this occasional bad page loading. I'm getting a dodgy page load about once an hour. And then even restarting the browser doesn't correct it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.