Updating Office 2011 on MAC

Reaction score
I have a Mac computer with office 2011 installed.

I receive regular updates but each time, I get the following message:

"These applications must be closed before the software can be installed:

Microsoft Database Daemon
SyncServicesAgent

These applications aren't on my tool bar at the bottom and when I locate them in applications and try to close them, they aren't open. What do I need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a Mac computer with office 2011 installed.

I receive regular updates but each time, I get the following message:

"These applications must be closed before the software can be installed:

Microsoft Database Daemon
SyncServicesAgent

These applications aren't on my tool bar at the bottom and when I locate them in applications and try to close them, they aren't open. What do I need to do.

Those are background processes that you'll have to kill using Activity Monitor. Just open that up, find and select each of those, then select Quit Process from the menu.

It's rather odd that the installer can't do this on its own. *shrug* That's Microsoft for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's rather odd that the installer can't do this on its own. *shrug* That's Microsoft for you.

I agree but find it even more odd that those processes are running in the background. I've been doing MS updates for years from Office 2008 and now with Office 2011 and have never experienced the message she's seeing. On occasion the installer will tell me to shut down Word, Powerpoint, or even the updater, but never the two she was told to shut down.

M

MacInWin

They may be running in the background because one of the Applications in Office crashed but left them running sometime in the past. I've seen that happen before.

Reaction score
installing office 2011 updates

Its incredibly irritating to receive the message one should update Office for Mac, then finally receive the message one should close these mysterious programms which are impossible to find. So I start up in safe mode (keeping the shift-key down when restarting) but then its a whole effing hassle to find the update-alert again. How stupid and user unfriendly can one get?

Those are background processes that you'll have to kill using Activity Monitor. Just open that up, find and select each of those, then select Quit Process from the menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
No need to open in Safe mode. Just use Activity Monitor to quit those applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Something is not quite right. Used Office since before OS X days and have never observed that before.

C

chas_m

I'm no expert on Office, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that the OP is not properly quitting the apps and is instead "closing" them, leaving processes running when trying to update. Or that there are background processes for certain Office functions (like handing incoming invitations or updating calendars etc) that are again left running because the original application wasn't actually quit.

Try making sure Office is *completely quit* and then run the Office Updater and see if the problem disappears.

Reaction score
Suggested solution not quite working

I actually tried the option to kill SyncServicesAgent.app in Activity Monitor but this has not worked. As soon as a process is killed, a new one is created (see attached).

Anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Fixed

Thanks for the help McBie. Looking at the other thread helped solve the issue, as going offline did the trick for me too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.