Cover Flow on iPod Classic 160GB

Reaction score
I always create play lists for my albums and use the cover flow.

I have noticed since at least iTunes 10.6.3 that there are multiple entries for one album even though I have the album artist field completed, the details of the album itself are the same; there is no complication checked. For example, the other day I ripped Alicia Keys, As I Am. One of the songs has an Artist of Alicia Keys Feat. John Mayer. The whole album has Alicia Keys as the Album Artist, but there are still two albums in the cover flow. I have removed the Album Artist, synced and added it back and synced again. I have also deleted it from the playlist and created again. then resynced the iPod, but still persists. I have albums that I ripped with the same configuration, on older versions of iTunes without an issue.

The only difference in the config between the two albums is the encoding version of iTunes.

Any ideas? I've fixed the issue for now by having the Feat in the song name, but it would be nice to have it working as it used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds like you need to fix the Sort Artist field. Basically, the sorting fields override the track/album metadata to keep everything organized when it comes to albums like these that may have featured artists. This lets you have the track listing properly reflect all the artists for that track while sorting it in the background by just one of them.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks!

I was close. I was playing with Sort by Album Artist last night. Sort Artist has done the trick..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.