PB Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I have been having some issues with my PB recently. Some times when I wake it up I wont be able to use my USB mouse or keyboard, I have to restart it in order for it to work. This has happened several times over the past week. It happened today and when I turned on my PowerBook it said that my date was set to a date prior to 2001, and it told me to set it manually. When I checked the date it was correct.

I have repaired permissons thinking this was a problem, I also downloaded and ran System Optimizer X. Is there anything else I can do? The only recent changes that I have made to the PB is that I installed iLife '06 and added a 1GB stick of Kingston RAM, both of the 1GB sticks in my PB are Kingston.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
dmachine said:
I have been having some issues with my PB recently. Some times when I wake it up I wont be able to use my USB mouse or keyboard, I have to restart it in order for it to work. This has happened several times over the past week. It happened today and when I turned on my PowerBook it said that my date was set to a date prior to 2001, and it told me to set it manually. When I checked the date it was correct.

I have repaired permissons thinking this was a problem, I also downloaded and ran System Optimizer X. Is there anything else I can do? The only recent changes that I have made to the PB is that I installed iLife '06 and added a 1GB stick of Kingston RAM, both of the 1GB sticks in my PB are Kingston.
time/Date issues are often symptoms of PRAM or PRAM battery problems. Maybe reset the PRAM and see if that fixes things. I have to say though that PRAM doesn't usually affect the USB ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
A lot of Powerbooks have had issues with the second RAM slot causing issues...
Maybe that has something to do with it?

I'd check around for some info on the issue (ppl are suing over it - no official fix as of yet).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
This has just happened to me as well. It's happened several times over the last few days.
About a week ago I started using a Logitech MX400 Laser mouse, but I haven't had any issues with it...so I don't think that would be the problem.

How do you reset the PRAM? What is the PRAM battery?
Could this be due to the second RAM slot issues known to affect my Powerbook model? I've had my second stick of RAM (Kingston 512MB) installed for over a year with no problems.

I've since locked the Date & Time "to prevent further changes" and restarted my computer. When I booted up again, it didn't give me the error message.

Is there something wrong with my Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
Thanks for the link.

I'll bring my PowerBook into my local Genius Bar and have the Mac people look at it.

Any idea how long the repairs would take?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
It depends on your store. If you need it quicker, you could try an Apple Certified Service Provider who may be able to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.
I haven't had time to get to my local Apple Store yet, so I'll look into the Apple Service Providers before I decide where to bring my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.