Deleted Admin User keeps popping up on login screen! OS10.8.2

Reaction score
Hello all. This is an annoying problem I couldn't find the answer to on an exhaustive search.

I'm using OS10.8.2 on my new Macbook pro retina. I just restored my old computer (macbook pro 2009) onto my new Macbook through time machine. After doing it, I deleted my original admin user account on my new computer.

However, I must've screwed it up, because the old admin account keeps popping up when I restart the computer. After I enter the password for the old admin account, my new user account pops up and it asks for the password for that. The old admin account doesn't show up anywhere on system preferences. But it keeps popping up on the initial login screen, and now I have to enter 2 passwords to get into my computer.

Anyone know how to fix this?! Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can fix it by starting over, but this time DO NOT create an account on the MacBook Pro Retina.

By starting over - boot to the recovery partition on the Retina, use Disk Utility to erase the drive. Format the drive, and then download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store and install it. Do not create an account! Restore your Time Machine backup from the old MacBook Pro when your Retina asks if you wish to restore from another Mac. After that finishes, you'll be able to log on to the Retina with your old password into your account which will be waiting for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. One reason might be because my laptop is encrypted due to my work. So I had to have the IT guys at work basically wipe the computer clean and start again.

I'm still not sure where I went wrong, but it's fixed now.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.