Mail mailbox behavior

Reaction score
I have OS 10.5.8, and Mail. Suddenly my inbox messages don't remove from my inbox when I delete them. The just gray out. I cannot even manually drag them to the trash. They are deleting but remaining. What can I do?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums

Try this: Click on the offending mailbox, then from the Menu Bar, select "Mailbox" and at the bottom of the Drop Down Menu, click on "Rebuild". This should sort your problem. All the messages should now be "visible" and can be deleted in the usual manner.

Do this for any mailbox that is giving trouble.

Please report back on whether this solves your problem or otherwise.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you Ian. Rebuilding automatically deleted several hundred messages that I hope I don't need anymore. Yes, it now seems to allow me to delete more easily, but I am wondering if rebuild is supposed to delete past messages, or selected messages.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rebuild doesn't delete anything. It rebuilds the mailbox allowing you full control again. I presume that from your initial post that it was only an Inbox problem and that you rebuilt this mailbox. Were there really several hundred emails in it? I ask only because the Rebuild operation does just that and wouldn't delete them.

Any deleted emails would appear in Mail Trash anyway. I don't understand what's happened here if you say they've gone.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.