External hdd ejecting

Reaction score
I have western digital external drive and it is ejecting constantly. I need to know if any body has a solutions for it?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

This may look like procrastination, but we need to know a touch more detail. What type of Mac, which year, which OS.

What do you use the EHD for? How is it connected (USB, Firewire, is it mains-driven - stuff like that). And when you say it is ejecting constantly, what happens and what were you doing at these times?

Please come back to us. We'll do all we can to assist.

Ian

OP
I
Reaction score
I have 21' imac that i purchased in 2010. It has os 10.8. The external hard drive i am using is western digital (book). The following are the symptoms
1) when i boot up my imac and the hd is connected to it won't boot up. I haved to disconnect the hd.
2) after bootinig up the imac and plug via usb my hd it sees it but after 3 min a message comes up stating that the hd was improperly ejected.
3) my imac does not let me boot down when hd is connected.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1) when i boot up my imac and the hd is connected to it won't boot up. I haved to disconnect the hd.
Not surprising. The Mac may be trying to boot from the EHD and since it's not a bootable device, it's failing miserably.
2) after bootinig up the imac and plug via usb my hd it sees it but after 3 min a message comes up stating that the hd was improperly ejected.
USB ports can be flaky if the connection isn't proper. I've seen USB connections on my Mac go because of a slight bump to the cable. When I say slight, I truly mean slight (depending on how the cable is hit). Is there anything that could be doing this?
3) my imac does not let me boot down when hd is connected.
Did you happen to install WD software?

OP
I
Reaction score
I also check usb cable to see that it is properly connected. Any recommendations to resolve this problem?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Remove the WD software. It's very possible that this is causing the problems and it is unnecessary in every way imaginable. Now, removing this software has to be done properly. Did the hard drive come with an uninstaller for the WD software?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.