Macbook Pro Repair

Reaction score
I have a broken macbook (got dropped from a very large height) and when i took a look at it to see the damage, the screen was shattered, the touchpad was cracked, and the hard drive sounded like a maraca. When I asked how much it would cost to repair, apple told me more than $2000! So, I did some research myself and found part replacements and guides for replacing them and the total cost came out to $150. So I set to work. After 20 hours straight of researching repairing and waiting for disk utility to finish formatting stuff, I finally realized that my computer wasn't working because of a kernel panic, so I tried booting from a USB with the operating system installer (properly installed). I tried using external drives, different boot modes, and all sorts of things and I still cant get it to work, so any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums. . .

1st i must say, Kudos to you for trying such a ambitious fix :)

You really have to wonder why appl charge so much when you did it all for $150, but then again 20hrs work time for a Tech could be their downfall.
ANywyas, since you have already done the repair, i would be taking her apart again and cheching ALL Connections, Cables and anything else you came in contact with. I say this, because this is one of the many things that can cause Kernel Panics. Even a dodgy USB you have plugged in can cause them.
Have a read through this kb article OS X: About kernel panics
Report back and let us know how you go

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
:p

So the repair so far has only consisted of removing a $#!& ton of glued on broken glass from the (perfectly intact) LCD. The only connections that I tampered with are the hard drive and the ram, I have tried changing out the ram and that is not the problem, and I have tried loading the computer from several different hard drives, USB drives etc.

P.S. There may be other damages within the computer that I dont know about. Does anyone know how to check for those without completely disassembling the computer?

P.P.S. Apple probably could fix it pretty easily, but I did this as a learning experience, the reason they would charge so much, is that they wont replace only the glass of the screen, they have to replace the entire top section of the computer which costs $1000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Without it starting up, and then being able to do a Apple Hardware test, then no not really. If Apple Store is close enough, take it in to them and get them to run a Diagnostics Test on it with all there you beaut electronic equipement so you know exactly what is wrong, then you can then make a educated decision.
If you cant get to Apple then as i suggested before, take aprt and check everything again..

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Repairs

The thing is, im not really doing this to get the macbook back, I just want to do it for the learning experience, so any suggestions that I can just try are helpfull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you look for fractures on the logic board ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.