Can apps be transferred to other devices?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should be able to download the apps on your MBP by logging into your account in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im reading the OP's ? in a different way, and that they would like them on their Mac to play/use, and to answer that . . . .. No
Your iPhine Apps are only made for iOS devices. But if you have SL 10.6.8 or later use your MAS and a lot of developers have ported them over to Mac, but will need to be bought again.

Cheers

C

chas_m

And now, the CORRECT answer:

All your purchase iOS apps can be STORED in iTunes on your Mac, but cannot be PLAYED on the Mac as the Mac uses OS X, not iOS.

You can re-download or transfer all your apps (paid or free) to other iOS devices you own by signing in with the same iTunes account. You can do this either by directly re-downloading at no charge from the store, or by transferring them using iTunes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Glad you somehow have an inside scoop on the interpretation and felt the need to emphasize that you were CORRECT and imply that everyone else was WRONG. Productive.

C

chas_m

I felt the other answers were adding to the confusion.

I didn't have an inside scoop on the interpretation -- instead I did with the other should have done: addressed both possible interpretations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I felt the other answers were adding to the confusion.

I think there was confusion all round, and particulary from the OP, because they really didnt provide enough input to their own question for any of us to make a true correct answer.
As i posted
Im reading the OP's ? in a different way, and that they would like them on their Mac to play/use.
This is solely because to the OP hasnt provided sufficient information for any of us to give a correct answer.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm still a little confused, but I'll get over it. Thanks for all the assistance...right or wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm still a little confused, but I'll get over it. Thanks for all the assistance...right or wrong...

What do you want to ultimately achieve with those iPhone apps? Backup on your Mac? Use/play them on your Mac?

I think it's worth getting clarification for future readers of this thread who may have a similar query.

OP
P
Reaction score
I would like to do both of those things mentioned:

1) Back up the app to my MBP so that I could then reinstall it on my iPhone should that ever be necessary or should I get a new phone.

2) Play it on my computer.

Are either of these actions possible? If so, do the previous threads explain that process? I'm still learning, so the more basic an explanation, the better off I (and likely others) might be.

Thanks so much.

dj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to do both of those things mentioned:

1) Back up the app to my MBP so that I could then reinstall it on my iPhone should that ever be necessary or should I get a new phone.

2) Play it on my computer.

Are either of these actions possible? If so, do the previous threads explain that process? I'm still learning, so the more basic an explanation, the better off I (and likely others) might be.

Thanks so much.

dj

You can only do the 1st task. Apps that work on iOS devices do not work on the Mac and apps purchased on your Mac through the Mac App Store only work on a Mac, not on an iOS device.

Whenever you sync your iPhone with iTunes, it will keep a backup of all your apps. You can also create a full backup of your iPhone (preferences, background photo, etc.) in iTunes.

OP
P
Reaction score
Great...So, is this different than using Time Machine? Can I 'check' anywhere to confirm the back-up has occurred? If it's not Time Machine, how does one back up the iPhone, which has everything brought in from iTunes, anyway. SO the only thing to back up would be the apps. correct?
thanks,
dj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Different from Time Machine in the sense that you would restore everything from the last point you backed up, not just restore a single file like you can do with Time Machine.

You create a back up in iTunes. Connect your iPhone, wait for main display to show up in iTunes and there are a series of (I think) 3 tasks in the center of the display. One is check for latest iOS update and something else and then "Back Up to this computer". --I'm not on my Mac right now, so all of this is from memory and not exact wording-- You can view your back ups by opening iTunes Preferences (different than settings for your iPhone). It will bring up a window, go to the "Devices" tab and that will show the backups you have created for your iOS devices. It backs up apps, music, ring tones, and all settings on your phone. Including background photo on home screen and lock screen, contacts, etc. Everything If your phone falls in the pool and you have to replace it, you can restore using your latest backup in iTunes and then it's like you have your same phone again. Get it?

Like I said, I'm going from memory so maybe this is not 100% accurate so feel free to correct me, guys. But I'm pretty sure it's right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
MYmacROX has it pretty much nailed.

Just a note clarify from your earlier question;

Fundamentally iTunes makes backups of your iPhone, Time Machine makes backups of you Mac as a whole.
There are overlaps obviously, your phone backups in iTunes will be backed up as part of the full mac backup to Time Machine. But for the purposes of iPhone back-ups (not just apps but everything on your phone) think iTunes.

It's iTunes you'll use to backup, restore, update and sync your iPhone.

Just one last aside, many of the iTunes functions are replicated by the iCloud service which I'd be happy to post about but it's probably worth grasping the base iTunes stuff first.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks....I'll look into all this next time my phone, me and my computer are all around the internet simultuously!

be well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.