Error 8003 when I empty TRASH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1 :Intel Core 2 Duo Memory:3 GB 17" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel core 17 4GB Memory
I manually trashed 11 backups from my FreeAgent Drive to the Trash Bin on my iMac which runs MacOSX version 10.6.8. Now I'm unable to empty the Trash. I've tried Secure Empty and just plain Empty with no luck. I also downloaded Trash It and that clear the other files in my trash but left the larger Back Up files.
Does anyone know what I can do to clear the Trash off my computer please?
:Grimmace:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forum.

No offence meant when I remind you that the Ext HD from which the material was removed needs to be mounted in order to the delete the Trash.

If you have tried standard and secure delete methods with the Drive attached and this has failed; then there is a widely favoured app called OnyX which is free. Make sure you download the version specific for your OS, 10.6.8. After installation, open it and it will firstly carry out SMART assessments on your drive(s). Then it will ask you for your admin PW - then you Click on "Clean" then "Trash". This will empty all your Trashes.

This method hasn't failed me yet.

Please report back success or otherwise.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1 :Intel Core 2 Duo Memory:3 GB 17" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel core 17 4GB Memory
Hi Ian,
No offence taken! I'm not computer savvy.....but if what you mean when you say the Ext HD needs to be mounted before deleting to the Trash.......My Ext HD is always connected to the computer and makes regular back-ups! I had a problem one day when it was unable to complete a B/U and I thought it might help if i deleted a few old ones!!! Silly for sure...... I know that now :)

I have now cleared the Trash by running 'Trash It' and leaving the computer a few hours! It might however be benificial for me to run the Onyx app to check my Drives......do you think?
Thanks very much for responding and your assistance.
Tillymint

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Tillymint

Yes. What I would do, I think, is run OnyX. Let it check your Drive(s) and when finished (it's not long), it will ask for your admin PW.

Then, from the OnyX Menu Bar, select "Automation" and I would Check all the boxes except, perhaps, the "Rebuilding" group which take longer and in your case are probably not necessary. Then Click "Execute". You will be asked to restart your Mac at the end and you should. It's part of the process.

OnyX is not a daily-use tool, but one to employ when things are slowing or there has been a problem.

Good luck.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G'Day Ian,

Thanks for your assistance.

I now have OnyX on my computer and have run the first check. It did need me to correct a small problem with the start-up, this was pretty easy from the original OSX disc.

All good now down here in Aus.........thanks once again.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! You're welcome. Hands across the hemispheres, as it were.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.