How to downgrade from mountain lion to lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive.
hi, i have a imac and it came INSTALLED with the lion os x, and when the mountain lion was released my friend had a voucher code where i could download the mountion lion for free from the app store, but i regret that all now because it looks rubbish so i want to downgrade back to LION like it came with it..the only problem is i do not have a cd? so what can i do:'(..

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi, i have a imac and it came INSTALLED with the lion os x, and when the mountain lion was released my friend had a voucher code where i could download the mountion lion for free from the app store, but i regret that all now because it looks rubbish so i want to downgrade back to LION like it came with it..the only problem is i do not have a cd? so what can i do:'(..

can anyone then if you don't know the answer give me a youtube link or something so i learn how to do it.. i tried yesterday the INTERET RECOVERY but after nearly 2 hours nothing happened it took me back to the log in screen..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Did you make a bootable flash drive with Lion on it when you got the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Looks like rubbish? Care to elaborate? It should look exactly the same. If you REALLY want to go back to Lion, knock yourself out, but Mountain Lion is a more refined version of Lion in many ways. Whatever issues you have with it, we may be able to help you fix.

As for going back to Lion, that's actually going to be difficult. Once Mountain Lion is installed, I don't believe you can reinstall anything but Mountain Lion from the Recovery partition. And as toMACsh implied, if you don't have a backup installer, then you don't have anything to reinstall it with. You'd have to call Apple.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like rubbish? Care to elaborate? It should look exactly the same. If you REALLY want to go back to Lion, knock yourself out, but Mountain Lion is a more refined version of Lion in many ways. Whatever issues you have with it, we may be able to help you fix.

As for going back to Lion, that's actually going to be difficult. Once Mountain Lion is installed, I don't believe you can reinstall anything but Mountain Lion from the Recovery partition. And as toMACsh implied, if you don't have a backup installer, then you don't have anything to reinstall it with. You'd have to call Apple.

I just did a restart holding command option R, the Internet recovery started and after an hour it took me to download Mac OS X Lion , anyway thanks for letting me know it wouldn't have worked because really it does work to downgrade.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you make a bootable flash drive with Lion on it when you got the Mac?

No I haven't and bear in mind I'm
Only 17 so not all smart like the rest, I just did a Internet recovery and now it's downloading Mac OS X Lion so hope that's alright?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Internet recovery should be downloading what is already installed. If you have Mountain Lion installed and do a internet recovery, it should download Mountain Lion. If you have Lion installed, it will download Lion.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Internet recovery should be downloading what is already installed. If you have Mountain Lion installed and do a internet recovery, it should download Mountain Lion. If you have Lion installed, it will download Lion.

My iMac came with lion installed and couple months later when mountain lion was released I download that, so now that I did the Internet recovery an hour or so later it took me to recovery mode and it let me download Mac Lion, I first erased my hard drive then downloaded the Mac Lion! Hope I did it right.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. If you erased the main portion of the hard drive first then it should allow you to download Lion and install that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. If you erased the main portion of the hard drive first then it should allow you to download Lion and install that.

Thank you that what I was hoping to hear haha, it's installing Lion right now as its saying its got another 4 hours left!:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and bear in mind I'm
Only 17 so not all smart like the rest...

Many 17 year-olds are genius's when it comes to computers, smartphones, iPad's, etc. Thus you can have 17 year-old genius's...and 17 year-old non-genius's. Just like you can have very knowledeagble 40-50 year-olds...and not so knowledgable 40-50 year olds.

When it comes to computers/electronics...stereotypes are not always very accurate.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I just did a restart holding command option R, the Internet recovery started and after an hour it took me to download Mac OS X Lion , anyway thanks for letting me know it wouldn't have worked because really it does work to downgrade.

No need to be snarky. I said I didn't believe you'd be able to. There's a big difference between that and outright asserting that it couldn't be done. Good to know for future reference though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all your answers but the only option that helped me was the Internet recovery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.