os x ver. - 10.7.5
processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory - 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
camera - FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Software fully updated
Speedtest.net results
Download Speed - 12.52 Mbps
Upload Speed - 5.43

I've begun to travel as part of my job, so my wife and I decided to use Skype when I'm on the road (and just to be clear, I take the MacBook Pro with me, and she uses the iMac at home). Our first try resulted in my seeing and hearing her perfectly, while she could hear me perfectly but could only see a poor video. Cleaning the screen over the built-in cameras didn't help.

When I got home, we Skyped each other from different parts of the house so I could see what she was describing. I, using the iMac, heard her perfectly, but the video quality was pixelated and blurry. She, using the MacBook Pro, could hear and see perfectly. If she waived her hand in front of the MacBook's camera, the video on the iMac would get dramatically worse and even freeze for a half second.

It appears there's some problem causing pixelation and blurring between the time the light enters the lens of the camera on the MacBook Pro to the time the video image is displayed on the iMac.

Is there anything I can do, like changing configuration settings or something else, to make the video on the iMac as good as the video on the MacBook Pro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there anything I can do, like changing configuration settings or something else, to make the video on the iMac as good as the video on the MacBook Pro?

Keep in mind..... Your iMac is a 2007 model running Leopard and has a built in camera that's fairly good but older technology. The 2011 MBP on the other hand is using a HD built in camera and a much faster processor.

Here's what I would try: Update the iMac to Snow Leopard ($19.99) and add more memory to it. It can take up to 6 GB of memory but 4 GB should be fine. The extra memory should help. Also, a lot depends on your connection which according to what you're reporting should be OK.

You might also download and install the free OnyX utility on both your iMac and MBP. Use it in auto mode to do some cleaning and optimization of both systems. By the way, it's the only utility we recommend. Stay away from any other as they generally do not work. Here is the download LINK.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks chscag!

I have two follow up questions raised by your response:

1) it appears the older camera on the iMac is outperforming the camera on the MBP since the picture sent from the iMac to the MBP is being displayed perfectly on the MBP. Since the picture sent from the MBP HD camera is blurred/pixelated on the iMac, does that mean the HD camera on the MBP is defective?

2) Is the memory upgrade to the processor?

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1) it appears the older camera on the iMac is outperforming the camera on the MBP since the picture sent from the iMac to the MBP is being displayed perfectly on the MBP. Since the picture sent from the MBP HD camera is blurred/pixelated on the iMac, does that mean the HD camera on the MBP is defective?

Not necessarily. Try doing this: Take a snapshot with your MBP's HD camera and view it. Or, you could turn on your MBP camera by opening your Photo Booth application and look at yourself on screen. Do the same thing with the iMac and compare. Let us know what the results of that little experiment are.

2) Is the memory upgrade to the processor?

No, it's system memory. The memory cache used by the CPU is fixed on both machines and can not be altered.

OP
Reaction score
O.K. chscag, take a bow.

I downloaded and ran Onyx. I didn't realize how much my iMac needed in the way of maintenance. I actually had to use the dvd that came with the iMac to boot to the disk's disc utility to repair the disc.

Then, I got two memory cards and upgraded from 2GB to 4GB.

The picture is now as good as the MBP's, and there's no (or exceedingly little) pixelation/blurring.

I've ordered the upgrade to Snow Leopard, but if there's further improvement that will only be icing on the cake.

Thanks again chscag!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.