Help in choosing a new MacbookPro

Reaction score
I am planning on buying my first Macbook and I am having a hard time choosing between the 15-inch 2.3Ghz and the 15-inch 2.6Ghz model.

Should I go for the 2.6Ghz model with 8GB RAM and 750GB Hard Drive? Or get the 2.3Ghz model and later upgrade the RAM and install the SSD in it since the 2.3Ghz model is cheaper than the other.

Any other suggestions/help would be really appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice: Buy the most computer that you can reasonably afford. Some things to keep in mind....

The CPU can not be upgraded.

The Graphics Processor can not be upgraded.

Memory and hard drive are easy do it yourself upgrades.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't confuse the decision with ram and storage upgrades. Your first decision should be whether to get the 2.3 or 2.6ghz 15" MacBook Pro.

- Firstly I have to assume that you're talking about the non-retina MacBook Pro's.
- Secondly...since the 15" only comes in the stock configuration of 2.3ghz...I'm assuming you are choosing it...then upgrading it to the 2.6ghz cpu on the configuration page.

One thing to take careful notice of...when you upgrade the 15" non-retina MBP from 2.3 to 2.6ghz...you also double the amount of video ram (from 512meg to 1gig).

Once you have chosen between the 2.3 or 2.6ghz 15" MBP...then you can start thinking about ram and storage upgrades.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.