Semi recent switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
hello all.. Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,a tale of a fateful switch.. So my tale begins a few years back, when I join a PC/mac repair shop. I never had experience with macs before this, but I got thrown in quite quickly into the mac world. At first the users of the mac seems a bit, well, um, how shall I say obsessesed? brianwashed? at first sight of any PC they immediately being to put it down without any prompting. That pretty much turned me off to the mac community. Then as time went on, I began to use them, and sure enought I wanted one to mess around with at home. and I got used to it. and began to like it.. now about 3 weeks ago, I got an iMac G4 17" 1ghz off ebay, that I upgraded the ram to 1GB and put in a 200GB hard drive. (you pick up a few things working in a mac shop) and it is running like a champ. Now for the past 3 weeks my wife has adopted a wonderful PC and I have taken in a slightly used Imac. I just hope the two will play nicely together.

Now of course I have to put an end to this silly what is better debate. After hearing the debate over and over again, and using both for a while and more importantly fixing both for year. I can safely say, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! some work forever, some die constantly, they all will crash eventually, and they run similar apps.

nuff' said

B

BoingoBongo

I think that's pretty much true. All it really comes down to is personal preference.

I think that Apple just tends to create a more pleasant and unique computing experience right out of the box.

T

topshot

If you are in a server environment, you would find that Unix platforms have much less maintenance needs or downtime than Windows servers, but Unix tends to require more knowledgeable and experienced computer technicians. But again, neither is without it's problems. As an example, ISP's tend to provide gurantees for server up-time. You will certainly find a few ISP's who guarantee higher up times for Unix based servers. Rates of 99.9% for Unix and 98-99% for windows is not uncommon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well, no, they are not exactly the same. If they were, there wouldn't be the debate.

It comes down to this; Apple has always given the better user experience right from their beginning days with the Apple II. Yep, that far back. And yes, I go that far back.

So, the debate continues... :p

Reaction score
unix platform v windows, um, no not the same at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Here's the diff: Had my PC re-formatted about every four months (average) for the four years I owned it. Currently, it refuses to connect to my wireless network, and it took me THREE DAYS of concentrated effort just to get it to the desktop after the last format!

OTOH, my Powermac has been golden:

SEVEN months...

ZERO system crashes

ZERO viruses

ZERO regrets

THAT'S the difference!

Rock on :-D

B

BoingoBongo

xstep said:
Well, no, they are not exactly the same. If they were, there wouldn't be the debate.

It comes down to this; Apple has always given the better user experience right from their beginning days with the Apple II. Yep, that far back. And yes, I go that far back.

So, the debate continues... :p

Dang, I can only imagine what it must have been like to take a brand new Apple II out of the box! You must have been the envy of the neighborhood!

M

MrMacMan

NO NO, they are not even close in similarity, other than the fact that they both have to do with computers. Here are some major differences:

1. Windows sucks and Mac's are da bomb.
2. There are to date half a million active viruses for windows, as for mac, there
are none.
3. Windows looks ugly and mac's look, well, elegant.
4. Mac has the most advanced operating system on the planet, as for windows,
hhmmm, it's just windows.
5. Windows sucks and mac's are da bomb. Oops, I already wrote that,lol.

You get my point:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
sluzniak said:
At first the users of the mac seems a bit, well, um, how shall I say obsessesed? brianwashed? at first sight of any PC they immediately being to put it down without any prompting. That pretty much turned me off to the mac community.

MrMacMan said:
Windows sucks and mac's are da bomb. Oops, I already wrote that,lol.

and this is why he was straying away from macs for a year or two.

but hey, its your opinion. My opinion is that in my perspective, i can use both windows and my macs easily, its just that whenever my parents use it they sometimes ask me how to do things, which takes some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
Macs and Windows machines are basically the same thing.... they are tools to provide an end result.

I got my first Mac for Christmas from my husband and he was more than reluctant to buy it for me. I had never even seen an iBook up close. If you go to a coffee shop or the library here in Northern Indiana.........its all Windows. I am an oddity now (and I love it BTW).

I would love to see Macs become part of the mainstream here, they are beautiful machines! Unfortunately you can't go to Best Buy, Circuit City or the local mall and see one. I think that hurts Apple. Perhaps if Macs were more visible and easier to buy then Apple may actually have more of the personal computer market share. Until then, Windows will rule the world.

Macs do not have viruses, that is a big plus.. But, they do crash! And whenever my little iBook wakes up from sleep, it cannot find my home network for ages unless I reboot. This is only a minor annoyance for me, mostly because I love to work on a Mac now!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
Hmmm wow.. here we go now.. I already confessed that Im a mac switcher in a mac forum and already little debates spring up. First and formost let me lead off by saying, PC and Mac experiences vary by the user. now I have had my PCs for well over 10 years plus. granted I had to format and do troubleshooting on them from time to time. but I took care of my PCs and thankfully never had them crash out of the blue. My mac for the short time I've had it has been the same as well. now for my history working in a PC/Mac repair shop. I have seen macs bomb out of the box from apple. I have seen manufacturing defects (5 in a row mind you at one point) in new Powermac G5s. I have delt with many recalled and extended warranty service calls for logic boards, batteries and LCD screens. Of course I have had similar problems with PCs. my point is Apples are not above the law. they do break, they do crash, but just like PC users, Apple users stick by them and remain loyal. Before anyone says anything about pc users switching, there are plenty of mac users going the other way.

As far as the general working of the OS. Well they are very similar. where does a mac install an application without a shortcut on the dock or the desktop (Harddrive\application folder) where does a PC install an app not on the desktop or the start menu (harddrive\program files). There is a handy little bar at the bottom of PCs that can be set up very similar to the Mac dock. There is a control panel in PCs and a System Prefernces in mac. there is a power button, a mouse and a keyboard. The colors of the OS may be diffrent, the 'feel' of the OS may be diffent, but they are the same... How do you uninstall an app from a mac? sometimes you have just trash the app from the applications folder. sometimes you load up the cd and there is an uninstaller. sometimes ... well you get the picture. How do you do it on a PC? control panel, add remove programs. or goto the startmenu and there is an uninstalled for the app. or you load the CD or.. again you get the idea.

Now for my finnal point and listen well oh ye mac zelots. We enjoy a virus free and spyware free life. enjoy it while it lasts. Macs were not popluar in the past, so there was now shock and awe in writing a virus so the hackers never bothered. but Steve Jobs has done a wonderful campaing to boost mac sales and get apple back in to the mainstream. However now apple is going to be a prime target, especially switching to an intel platform. So be warned. But I hope that I am wrong on this.

Reaction score
I had to return 2 Power PC G5s and my first Ipod Mini i had to return 3 times and i have only been using mac products for nearly 3 year.
In my whole 15 years using PCs i have had one video card failure and killed 2 power supplies(my fault not getting powerfull enough ones). So in short they can both have faulty products i mean why do they have Apple care if the Macs are so bullet proof?

As for the OS in the end they get the same result but in differant ways!!
Yes Windows XP is looking out dated these days (it needs a coat of paint) but it still does everything you want!! Vista is on the way so Windows will be looking up to date by then.

As for MAC OSX, well what can i say, brilliant!! it looks so cool and is really pleasing to use but it still dont do anything the PC cannot do.

Had a play with I life 06 today!!! Drool!! its da bomb! lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.