Dual screening with external monitor help

Reaction score
Im going to purchase an external monitor to dual screen, was just wondering if i should go for one which just has VGA input or both HDMI and VGA ?

The one that just has VGA input is £12.00 cheaper.

Just wondering on your opinions? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In 2013...I wouldn't touch anything with VGA. If the monitor has HDMI and VGA...no problem...but I wouldn't pursue a monitor because it had VGA...unless you actually have a purpose/need for the VGA port.

Actually in 2013...many monitors come with DVI...and sometimes both DVI and HDMI. So if I was looking for monitor...and I wanted "port flexibility"...I would get one with DVI and HDMI. But...even if it didn't have both of these ports...you can get adapters.

But my main point is...I personally wouldn't pursue a monitor with a VGA port in 2013 (unless you actually had a need)...VERY "old school"!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Haha thanks Nick! would you care to recommend a good value 22" monitor that supports DVI also? :)

Do you think dvi is better to connect to my MBP or will hdmi be good also ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha thanks Nick! would you care to recommend a good value 22" monitor that supports DVI also? :)

I have not had great luck with Samsung products...so I would say get almost any other brand. Just shop for lowest price.

Do you think dvi is better to connect to my MBP or will hdmi be good also ?

In my experience DVI seems more computer related...and HDMI seems to be more large screen television/video related...but here's an article to read on the subject:

What’s the Difference Between HDMI and DVI? Which is Better?

If you think that at some point you will want to connect your computer to a large screen flat-panel TV...HDMI might be better.

In either case (HDMI or DVI)...you're going to need a video adapter to connect your computer to the external display:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Sounds like you're in the UK...so the prices will be different.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
ok, im struggling to find a 1080p monitor which supports a DVI input :/

also, say if a youtube video is over on the other monitor display, rather than on my MBP, will the sound still come out of my laptop ? :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0074H1SD0/

^^^ thats the one i was thinking of getting, and it has very good reviews, what do you think, nick? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, say if a youtube video is over on the other monitor display, rather than on my MBP, will the sound still come out of my laptop ? :D

Yes the sound will come out of your laptop. If this is undesirable...you can plug some external speakers into your laptop. If desirable...then everything is fine.

^^^ thats the one i was thinking of getting, and it has very good reviews, what do you think, nick? :)

It looks ok on "paper"...but I personally have not had good luck with Samsung products in the past (as I mentioned above)...so if I were buying...I wouldn't get it. But it may be a perfectly fine monitor.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.