synchronising hotmail account between ipad and macbook

Reaction score
hello! i have a fully functioning hotmail account on my iPad. all my folders are present and active. fine! however, recent purchase of mac book has caused problems! I can receive mails at into both inboxes, however the accounts do not sync. ie no automatic deletion of messages or messages sent from ipad do not appear in sent items on mac book hotmail account, even though it is the same account!! furthermore, the macbook version of my hotmail account shows no folders. as such, i basically have a hotmail account which looks totally different between the computer and the iPad. no good!:Grimmace: how can i sync so that i see on the mac book what i see on the ipad, and that any changes in one account be reflected in the other? does the icloud need switched on? is it something to do with the pop server?? please help! it is driving me nuts!!! thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I'm not sure if Hotmail provides it, but you need an IMAP account rather than PoP mail. With IMAP your accounts both on the Mac and iPad will sync correctly. Google Mail (GMail) has free IMAP accounts if you desire to switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.