Getting ready to upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
Afternoon, everyone!

I am finally financially able to upgrade my MacBook. Needless to say I am ecstatic. Now comes the important decision... MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? Retina or no?

I use my laptop for net surfing, reading, writing, occasional video perusal and some photo manips. Obviously I don't need the top of the line MacBook, but of course I want it!

I would like one that is going to last me a good 5-6 years, since they are so pricey. Speed is my number one concern, with quality of the screen a close second. Storage space not so much, because I plan to come pics,music,vids on my external harddrive.

I am currently on a 13" which seemed so tiny when I got it, but I have gotten used to it. A 15" would be nice, but I could do without. I know the Air's are much lighter, so that is a big pro for it, but I am really digging the retina display.

For those of you who have a MacBook Pro Retina, is it worth it? Give me your thoughts. This will be my first large purchase (where I can actually pay cash as opposed to charging ;) ), so I really want to make sure I am making the smartest decision.

I have also been doing some research to see if there is a time of year when they go on sale or where the cheapest place is to purchase one. As of now, it seems anytime through the Apple Store with the college student discount is the winner, but I am open to suggestions!

Thanks for your time, guys. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
For me it would be the MacBook Pro Retina 15" (if I had the cash!).

I'm not sure that you can compare the two really because there is such a huge difference in price and specs and they are different beasts. If you don't need the graphics and display capabilities of the MBP spend the 'spare' grand on an ATV3 and an iPad :)

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM

I'm not sure that you can compare the two really because there is such a huge difference in price and specs and they are different beasts. If you don't need the graphics and display capabilities of the MBP spend the 'spare' grand on an ATV3 and an iPad :)

Hey, thanks for the answer. :( I went into Best Buy yesterday (we dont have an Apple store nearby) to play with both, and I can't believe how much lighter the air is, it's crazy! Now I only wish it had a 15" display. ;)

So I think I will get the air, and max out the upgrades. Any thoughts from you or anyone else on time capsule? I am currently using a WD external drive- half configured to act like time capsule and the other half for storage. It works just fine for me, but it is a wired device. Open to all suggestions! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the WD external is OK for now I would do a bit more research before purchasing I would investigate a bit before purchasing the Time Capsule. They're great devices and you can't beat the ease of setup compared to some other NAS devices. I love mine but there are cheaper options out there that might meet your needs just as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

LOL. I would dearly love to get a new 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and a 13" MBA to go along with it. Many $$$. Not sure what the boss (How to have a peaceful marriage!) would say though. :p

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the WD external is OK for now I would do a bit more research before purchasing I would investigate a bit before purchasing the Time Capsule. They're great devices and you can't beat the ease of setup compared to some other NAS devices. I love mine but there are cheaper options out there that might meet your needs just as well.

The WD is okay for now, although I can't determine exactly how many times it has been knocked over by the cat tangling with the chord, which is part of what makes the time capsule so appealing, being wireless. I've had the WD for about 3 years now, and it seems to be fine. Then again, then one prior to it was just fine until it wasn't. As much as I love buying electronics, I give myself such a headache stressing over making the right decision. For me, buying a Mac over a PC is a no brainer. It's just the rest of the stuff that gives me fits. ;P

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL. I would dearly love to get a new 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and a 13" MBA to go along with it. Many $$$. Not sure what the boss (How to have a peaceful marriage!) would say though. :p

Yeah, probably don't want to rock that boat unless you know it's all good! ;P I guess that is one of the perks to being single. LOL

Reaction score
did you check out the 13" macbook pro retina?

I compared the 13" air and 13" retina at bestbuy and would take the retina because I thought the display was that much better and the weight difference is negligible. JMO

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you check out the 13" macbook pro retina?

I compared the 13" air and 13" retina at bestbuy and would take the retina because I thought the display was that much better and the weight difference is negligible. JMO

You know, I did. For me I could really tell a difference, but that is probably because I have an early onset of mild arthritis in my hands, so any weight causes a pretty decent discomfort. I could hold the air in my hand with no discomfort at all, but the pro did make it ache. :'( Thanks for your input, though! :Cool:

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to let you guys know I did it! I just pressed the confirm button and have purchased a new..... *drum roll please* MacBook Pro Retina 13" with 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
and 512GB Flash Storage. I am very excited, in case you couldn't tell. ;) It cost me more than I had wanted to spend, but the speed of it seems so much better than the Air...and I like things to fly. So yay! And thank you as always for all of the great tips and advice!

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats, and know that we all hate you ... cuz we're jealous!
*shines and blows in nails* ;) This is one time I will happily accept the hate!

Don't worry, though. I am sure I will still have hundreds of silly questions, even though the lappie will be brand spankin' new. ;) Whatever would I do without you all? :D

I also decided to go wireless with the backup and purchased the 2TB Time Capsule. I really wanted the 3TB, but it was so much more expensive, I just couldn't justify it. Although I did try. :Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Whatever would I do without you all? :D

Bobbing up & down in a sea of utter confusion and chaos without a life preserver!;)

YIKES...what's that nibbling on your toes/foot!!!;)

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bobbing up & down in a sea of utter confusion and chaos without a life preserver!;)

YIKES...what's that nibbling on your toes/foot!!!;)

- Nick

More than likely!

And holy cow- is that a Dell Desktop?! *gasps* Save me!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And holy cow- is that a Dell Desktop?! *gasps* Save me!

Chuck will save you!:;)

Chuck-Norris.jpg

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chuck will save you!:;)

Chuck-Norris.jpg

- Nick

LOL! Chuck isn't my number one choice for a savior, but I guess he'll do if this guy isn't available! :*

Eric-4x11-eric-northman-25101466-1280-720.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.