reset password

Reaction score
hi I bought a second hand IMac OSX 10.8.2 several months ago , to be honest I can only remember putting a password on for my wireless internet. I am trying to open adobe reader and it keeps asking for my password which I can't recall. Unfortunately no discs came with my IMac. I was advised to buy Mac OSX install discs , which I have since bought. However , when I try to re-install so I can reset my password , it keeps requesting my password to allow me to do this. Can anyone give me a simple solution on how to reset my password. Many Thanks , Roberta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your running Mountain Lion so there are no install discs, so you're not missing them.

To reset your password:

Reboot your Mac. As it starts and the chime sounds press and hold Command and R
You may have to try this a couple of times if using a wireless keyboard. It's easier with a USB keyboard.

Once you get to the next screen, select Utilities > Terminal

Type:
resetpassword

Select your user and enter a new password. Now you can exit and reboot normally

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.