printer drivers for Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an HP Photosmart C3180 Inkjet printer that I want to use with my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2. This printer has never been connected to this Mac Mini so there are no previous drivers on the computer.

I connect the printer to the USB port, go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > Hit the + button and select the HP 3180 and hit Add. The Mac then goes to "Finding Software" for a few seconds and returns a Pop-up saying:

"Can't install the software for the HP Photosmart
C3100 series because it is not currently available
from the Software Update server."

It has been "unavailable" for a couple of days now so I don't think it's because the server is down.

I then went to HP to try and download the driver and got this message:

"With the release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, HP is providing updated print drivers and
software for your printer. These updates are available through Apple Software Update .
You do not need to download a driver from HP to use your printer with Mountain Lion."

So now I'm stuck: HP tells me to go to Apple, and Apple is telling me the driver is unavailable. Is there any way to get the driver for my printer? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

P.S. I attached a couple of screen shots below.

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.09.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.30.10 AM.png

OP
K
Reaction score
Liam,

Thanks for the pointer to the driver. I downloaded it and successfully installed it. My problem now is how do I add the printer using this downloaded software. When I go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > Add Printer, it still tries to go to the outside Server and I get the same error message: not available. I'll continue hacking around with it, but if you have any more tips, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello Kevin,

Maybe it's stuck in some sort of log in loop. Quit all your apps and run 'Repair Disk Permissions' on your HD in Disk Utility and try again. If not do a restart.

Cheers,
Liam

OP
K
Reaction score
Liam,

That did it! I'm now able to print to the printer and scan from it.

Thanks a million.

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hey Kevin,

That's great news. Thanks for letting me know and happy printing!!

Liam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.