Lost original dvd please help

Reaction score
Hi

Please can someone tell me if there is anyway of recovering a dvd? This was a video that was written onto a dvd for me and was therefore unprotected.

I copied the original dvd to 2 new dvds on my mac book pro, and then lost the original. Unfortunately when i came to use one of the copies they do not seem to work. The file name is on there and i can see where there has been something written into the cd but when i try get info it says dvd size is only 33kb. If i try to open the dvd it just shows a blank finder box.

Is there anyway the video is on the dvd but my computer can't see it? Or is there a chance that when i tried to copy 2 months ago the computer saved a temporary copy on my computer that i could retrieve?

I realise this is a real long shot but any ideas would be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Download the application "hand-brake" onto your Mac. When you have that DVD in you should be able to rip a hardcopy onto your Mac once again.
OR
Do you use time machine? If it's recent enough the original file should still be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like not burned correctly. Did you use Toast, Burn or just Disk Utility?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with Harry. The copy was not burned correctly therefore a video extractor such as Handbrake probably will not help. If you lost the original you may be out of luck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
33kb sounds like instead of the Movie all that was burned was an Alias of the filename.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.