Deleting Partition in OS X

Reaction score
I made a partition using BootCamp. I later decided to remove this partition. To do so, i formatted the new partition to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Then i selected that partition from the Partition Layout window and deleted the partition by clicking the little minus sign at the bottom. This partition was of 60 GB. Now the partition is gone but the 60 GB is missing ( I mean, it doesn't show in the Partition Layout nor has it been added to Macintosh HD)...
Can anyone help me to retrieve that 60 GB???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Resize the primary partition by dragging the bottom of the "bar" down on the partition map.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No... That didn't work... Its not letting me go down any further......

Eh? Post a screen cap of your partition map so we can see what's going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Ideally you should have used the bootcamp assistant to return the disk to it's pre-bootcamp state.

Things, as you've found, can get a bit messed up trying to do it manually.

But you should be able to do what you want by booting to the recovery partition or booting from your OSX DVD (depending on which version of OSX you have) and use disk utility from there to remove and resize.

As always, with anything disk related, I'd recommend making sure you have a working backup first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try going into BootCamp s if you were setting up and see if the window comes up to remove.

OP
N
Reaction score
I managed to get that lost memory back!!! :D
I selected the Recovery HD partition and clicked on the little plus sign on the bottom left to create a new partition. A new partition got created of 60GB .. (magic, i guess!)
Thanks anyway, everyone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something's wrong here. The recovery partition shouldn't even be visible, much less "below" the main partition. And certainly not 60 GB in size! Unless that's a Windows recovery partition, though how that even got there is confusing, unless maybe this drive was recycled from an OEM Windows PC?

Well no matter... if you want to merge those partitions back together, click the minus sign while the bottom part is selected, then resize the top one.

OP
N
Reaction score
Anyway, at least the 60 Gigs are back!!
I think when i deleted the partition last time, it just got left as unallocated memory. When i tried to create a new partition, disk utility must have just reallocated it back..
The drive definitely wasn't recycled from a windows PC!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.