Just Bought an Ebay powerbook

C

chrisb2999

I just purchased a 15 in Powerbook (aluminum), 1.0 Ghz, 60gb, 256 ram, Airport Extreme, Good condition and applecare till Aug 2007 off of ebay for $750. Was this a good deal?, and will it be able to handle all contemporary software effeciently? I need to buy ram though, where's a good place to get it on the internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Yes, that sounds like a good deal to me! Personally, I would recommend Crucial, as you are guaranteed compatibility - or there is another one that US people recommend and that is new.egg I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Kyomii said:
Yes, that sounds like a good deal to me! Personally, I would recommend Crucial, as you are guaranteed compatibility - or there is another one that US people recommend and that is new.egg I think.

Newegg is just the store, crucial is the brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
hondagus87 said:
Newegg is just the store, crucial is the brand.

Thankyou :) Perhaps I should have clarified that I did mean Newegg as the store, and, I know crucial is a brand, but they also have an online store too, and I meant the store in both cases :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook 1.33
Definitely Newegg.com. Read the reviews on the particular ram you are looking at. Sometimes it will give hints that it will work in the Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Very good deal! Those things can nab $1000+ on eBay easy.

As for the RAM, Corsair and Crucial are more prominent. Personally, I kind of see Crucial as the Cadillac of Ram. Very nice, but you can save some money if you go with other brands that will do it.

OP
C

chrisb2999

mynameis said:
That sounds too good...

Yes i know... but the guy had over a hundred 100% feedback and hes been a member sine 2000, and I have talked to him after the auction. Regardless, I did it thru paypal, and he is paypal protected and since it was less than $1000 im insured. Ill get back to you guys when (if?) I get it. Im not worrying to much about it though. But it sucks it doesnt have the ambient keyboard...

Heres the completed listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/15-PowerBook-1-...ryZ14909QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DID I MENTION APPLECARE THRU Aug 2007, i couldn't believe it....

Reaction score
looks like you got a good deal. sometimes that happens. good for you.

it's ashame you can't get CARFAX for used computers. don't buy any moldy laptops from eBay sellers based in New Orleans...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Actually, I don't think it sounds too good to be true. you can get an iBook on edu. discount with 1.33 GHz, 30% faster processor, twice as much RAM, but a smaller hard drive for 950, and non-edu for 999. 750 For half the RAM and a significantly slower processor is fair, IMO.

OP
C

chrisb2999

Put a powerbook and ibook side by side... Thats why I did not want an ibook. Also it has twice the vram as the ibook and still half the applecare remaining ($175) But i will end up spending $50+ on ram for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
**** dude, that looks like a pretty darn good steal to me.....looks like it woulda cost you about 1050 at other online stores.

good luck with it!
-chris

OP
C

chrisb2999

I got my powerbook today. Its in excellent condition, almost looks new. The only things i found wrong with it was that the hinge for the display makes a popping noise when you adjust it too far back and the ac adapter doesn't fit that snug, it will stay in just not as well as i'd like. Do you think that applecare will take care of this stuff??? Other than that its excellent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.