Transfering data from old hard drive to 2 new drives.

Reaction score
So to make this short, I just purchased a 128gb SSD and a 750gb hybrid drive (in place of the optical drive) for my MBP. Should be receiving it in the mail next week. The 750gb is obviously going to be for all my media storage, and the SSD for my applications and OS.

How would I go about transferring all the data I have on my current hard drive to the desired location on the new ones?

My MBP is refurbished so OSX Lion came pre-installed, how would I go about getting it installed to the new SSD?

I mainly use my computer for music production. So honestly, all I really want transfered to the new drive is my DAW program and all the VST/AU software so I dont have to reinstall it all.

Would it be easier to transfer all my media to my 160gb iPod and install OSX Lion to the new SSD and reinstall all the software for Ableton and VST's, and basically start off fresh?

(im not much of a wiz when it comes to computers lol.)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Three words. Carbon Copy Cloner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.