• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Xbox project cofounder: Game-enabled Apple TV would "simply kill Playstation, Wii-U,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Interesting read. Good for small developers but how would you play something like Halo 4 on an ATV without a very fast internet connection and/or the addition of a HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I doubt a gamer who buys into Playstation, Wii, or Xbox will pick an Apple TV over them. The games aren't even in the same league. It would make for a compliment system, but will never "simply kill" them as described int he ludicrous article. You're not going to get the same game from an Apple TV as you would on an PS3 or 360. For his statement true, it would mean that those gamers who pick the ATV for gaming are not interested in what a PS3, 360, or Wii is designed for. Dedicated gaming machine, not not part-time gaming machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I doubt a gamer who buys into Playstation, Wii, or Xbox will pick an Apple TV over them. The games aren't even in the same league. It would make for a compliment system, but will never "simply kill" them as described int he ludicrous article. You're not going to get the same game from an Apple TV as you would on an PS3 or 360. For his statement true, it would mean that those gamers who pick the ATV for gaming are not interested in what a PS3, 360, or Wii is designed for. Dedicated gaming machine, not not part-time gaming machine.

I agree totally. It is the same with the people who are claiming that mobile gaming will also kill off the consoles. Anyone who makes that statement has obviously never used a console and has no idea what immersion gaming is about.

The consoles may eventually die out for some reason, but it won't be because of the idea that $4.99 games are equivalent to Borderlands or Call of Duty, etc.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree totally. It is the same with the people who are claiming that mobile gaming will also kill off the consoles. Anyone who makes that statement has obviously never used a console and has no idea what immersion gaming is about.

The consoles may eventually die out for some reason, but it won't be because of the idea that $4.99 games are equivalent to Borderlands or Call of Duty, etc.

Not sure why people are comparing console gaming with mobile gaming. They are two different things. If anything gaming on iOS is a big contender for hand held gaming like the PS Vita, N3Ds, etc.

I have a PS Vita, N3Ds and I still play more games on my iPhone. >_>

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not so sure that the two methods of content delivery are any different (I'm going to pick on something different here). He suggests that MS charges a fee and can veto/regulate any game. How is this any different than Apple or Google with their respective stores? Second, did he totally miss the Xbox LIVE indie game program that provides free developer tools and a $99 entry fee (those prices seem very familiar)? The problem here isn't the methods itself and Microsoft's ignorance of it but something else. In other words, sure, MS may not have been successful in driving a lower end/casual market but it's not because of the method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Honestly, I don't see an Apple games console Pippin anyone else's to the post any time soon...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Last 3 games I bought and actually played for a good length of time were Unreal, Midtown Madness and Zoo Tycoon. I bought an X Box to play Splinter Cell and Genma Onimusha and that lasted about a week - awesome graphics and themes, but too many button combinations to learn. $50 to try a new title after that was more than I was willing to spend. I'd be more inclined to buy and play games on my AppleTV if there were some simple, playable, casual titles to select from at a reasonable price. I'm not saying I don't appreciate realistic graphics and whatnot, just that not everyone with disposable income needs the high-speed complicated stuff out there today. Not everyone who is willing to buy a game is willing to buy an expensive console or interested in having a stack of consoles and gaming paraphernalia on their living room TV stand. Now, how ATV games would extrapolate into sales volume or market share taken from gaming consoles - I don't know. I know I use to like games but now I don't even bother with consoles because I don't have the time or inclination to learn the elaborate 12-20 button interfaces anymore. I'd love to see and would pay play some of the simpler iPhone-type games on my AppleTV.

Reaction score
Not sure why people are comparing console gaming with mobile gaming. They are two different things. If anything gaming on iOS is a big contender for hand held gaming like the PS Vita, N3Ds, etc.

I have a PS Vita, N3Ds and I still play more games on my iPhone. >_>

My thoughts exactly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.