Just upgrade to iPhone 5: how to activate it?

Reaction score
Just upgraded to iPhone 5: how to activate it?

Just ordered my iPhone 5 from AT&T as an upgrade from my current iPhone 4. When I get it, do I simply sync it to my Mac and restore from my iPhone 4 backup to activate it, making my old phone inactive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
300 views and not a single reply? Wow...

The majority of those views are not from registered members. You've been a Mac-Forums member since 2009...you should know how things work!

- Nick

p.s. I am not a cell phone expert...otherwise I would have tried to help!:)

Reaction score
Just ordered my iPhone 5 from AT&T as an upgrade from my current iPhone 4. When I get it, do I simply sync it to my Mac and restore from my iPhone 4 backup to activate it, making my old phone inactive?

Do not restore from backup, setup as new phone, instructions from ATT will tell you have to activate the new phone. Mostly you just turn it on and it will activate, some time they ask to call a 800 number to activate, pretty easy. You may have to call ATT to deactivate the old phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea as oldhifi posted its your Cell Phone Provider that actually activates your phone once the sim card is in. Once activated then if you want sync with iTunes for the most recent backup from your iP4.
Not sure ewhat iOS you where running, but personally i would Activate/update software/ and set up as a new phone, have a play around with it to see what new features you have got and how the phone works all round as a new phone and new iOS.
Then if its imperative that you need your old back up then restore the phone with the old backup.
I set mine up as a new phone, because im not a big gamer, so i havnt got "The Golden Sword of Assurah" and all or most of my documents are in the cloud or dropbox, photostream and so on.
I believe the only reason need to restore to the latest backup is so they dont loose there game data

Reaction score
The reason I said to setup as NEW phone is, if you setup from backup, then the battery will run down a lot faster, since I reset my Iphone 5 and set it up as a new phone my battery life is a lot better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.