• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple may re-architect iOS to utilize more processor cores ahead of iPhone 6

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure if you've ever experienced multitasking on it, but It's extremely far from a curse. Just search for Note 2 multitasking on Youtube some videos. If you're not impressed by what you see, then nothing will ever impress you.

My experience with multitasking on Android was that it was a gigantic pain in the rear. I spent most of my interaction with the phone killing processes with a third party app killer because the OS didn't have any sort of control of those processes. If it neglected to do this, I'd get a half to a third of my normal battery life (which was a scant 14 hours of light use).

So yeah, I like Apple's approach here - and I know it's entirely deliberate. iOS, being based on OS X is entirely capable of providing full, pre-emptive multitasking. I believe there is a cost associated with that though, and I don't think Apple is willing to compromise the user experience.

Bigger, more, faster do not always make for the best user experience. As I've said before, first it needs to be a very good mobile phone. Everything else is secondary. If you cripple it by trying to make it all things to all people, you cripple the user experience.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Bigger, more, faster do not always make for the best user experience. As I've said before, first it needs to be a very good mobile phone. Everything else is secondary. If you cripple it by trying to make it all things to all people, you cripple the user experience.
I think this distills my point into a nicer package. Although I love increased power and more available memory, more effective use of said resources (even if less of it is available) is more important.

Once again, I also realize that I own Android tablets/phones, both of which are quad core devices with plenty of RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.