.dat file

Reaction score
how can i listen to a skype voicemail that is on my computer in a .dat file?
THXS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
.DAT is a generic name indicating it's a DATA file. If the file is any of the recognized audio formats you could use a variety of applications to play it, but in it's current state you will have to use the Skype application to play it.

You can also check out the Skype website and see if you can play your voicemail there. Check out this article.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks, but you know after a short time the voicemail messages are removed from skype and stored on ones computer as a .dat file under - library > application support > skype etc.
it is these files im trying to listen to?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they are stored locally, can you try to play them through the Skype application itself?

OP
F
Reaction score
if i click on the .dat file once and go to, open with, under the file menu and select skype - that doesnt work. ive tried a program called 'tnef enough' and VLC and real player also with no success?/

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Skype for voicemail, but when launch the application, is there a place to check on voicemail? If so, that's where you'd go to play these files. My guess is that the .DAT file is part audio file for the voicemail and part data indicating caller/time information..

So without knowing how that file is created, VLC and other players aren't going to be able do much with it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.