Odd Spotlight search results

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
I've come across a problem with Spotlight not finding files which I don't understand.

I've just done a search using Spotlight for a filename which I know exists multiple times in different places on my hard-drive but was surprised to find the results displayed did not match what I knew to be there.

For example searching for IMG_0642.JPG with settings "This Mac" and "File Name" shows 2 results but I know there should at least 3. Browsing with Finder I found a third file but even if restrict the search to the folder it's in it doesn't appear in the results (in fact in that case nothing does). Copying and pasting the filename from the Finder list into the Spotlight text box doesn't change anything.

The file has the same permissions as others in the folder and other files in that folder do appear in search results so it doesn't seem to be a permissions or spotlight settings problem. Running "find" in Terminal finds all the files but I want to be able to see them all in Finder side by side to visually check whether they are different images or different versions of the same image.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

I'm running Snow Leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.