Hello! New User, needs advice/opinion on purchase of Notebook

240aintenuff

Hey, I recently pre-ordered a MacBook Pro due to my love for the Tiger O.S. and the beauty of everything that is Apple. A couple weeks later I realised how much my Girlfriend needs a laptop too...I didn't get her anything for Xmas, shes been very good to me, and Valentines day is coming up.

So basically what I am saying is I have limited money due to my Macbook purchase... about $700 USD, my girl fell in love with the Tiger O.S. at the Apple store, so I want to buy her an inexpensive Apple laptop.

I found some Apple iBook laptops on ebay that are around 800MHz - 1GHz processor frequency range. Bad thing is they only have 133MHz FSB. Do these Processors do more per clock cycle than Pentiums, or are these too slow? Should I buy her a Dell Inspiron 6000 instead?

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Its the old more is better. thats all i hear today is this fast enough should i get 1.5ghz or 1.6ghz ext. Most people dont use the full power of there computers infact i will go so far as to say 98% of people who buy the most powerful computers dont use more than half of the computers ability. It depends on what you want to do if 1ghz is slow or not. I will say i used to use a 233mhz powerbook which ran the internet and word great. If you are just using it for basic tasks like most people do like Itunes,Ipod,email,word,internet,iphoto then a 1ghz ibook is plenty fast. What i have come to find out for basic tasks 1ghz in the mac world is plent fast its about equal to having a P4 2ghz in the PC land i cant tell a difference in speed using basic applications. The main thing i would look at in buying a Mac is to have at least a minimum of 512mb or ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.