Alias folder in dock will not open folder

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been told that if I want to have a folder in my dock that just takes one click to go directly to the folder in finder, that instead of dragging the folder to the right side of the dock, I need to create an alias and drag that to the same location.

But that doesn't work for me...? Infact, nothing happens at all when I click the alias folder in the dock.

Any ideas why this might be.

I'm running OS X 10.8.2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, tell us which folder you're trying to drag to the right side of the dock by creating an alias for it. Folders such as Documents, Downloads, Applications, in the Finder are special. No need to create an alias first. They can be dragged directly to the right side of the dock.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's a folder I created within a .DMG file. I had it working perfectly up till now when I accidentally deleted the alias from the dock. It's now that I'm trying to put it back there that I'm having the problem...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, where is the original folder located?

OP
S
Reaction score
Inside the .DMG file. Let me know if you'd like any pictures or video and I'll be happy to put upload some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Could a solution for you be putting it in the sidebar of the Finder Window ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Could a solution for you be putting it in the sidebar of the Finder Window ??

Nah, OP is looking for a one-click solution. That would be at least two clicks. But, you know, the time that could be spent trying to find that sweet spot again could add up to thousands of 2-clicks vs. 1-click delays.

OP
S
Reaction score
toMACsh,
You're right that I'm looking for a one-click solution. The time spent finding it again is worth it for me, as I know it CAN be done, and I'm not just hoping it can be.
In the meantime I'm using the two-click "solution", it's just frustrating as my entire workflow is set up around easy one-click access to those folders in the dock.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Nah, OP is looking for a one-click solution. That would be at least two clicks. But, you know, the time that could be spent trying to find that sweet spot again could add up to thousands of 2-clicks vs. 1-click delays.

Not necessarily, if you have the Finder wimndow open and stuck to 1 certain Desktop, then it just a 3 finger swipe Left/Right and click pn the alias in Finder Sidebar. Sure its 2 movements, but fingers are on trackpad as it is so its not a big deal IMO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.