iPhone 5 and built in camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Hi. Since updating to iOS 6.1, everytime I open the Camera app on my iPhone 5 (UK) the shutter briefly opens then closes again.
Have looked on Apple Support pages for possible solutions but found none that worked.

I have so far tried: -
1. Rebooted iPhone 5 by holding both the Sleep/wake and Home Screen Buttons for 15 sec etc - no change in camera app performance.

2. Restored iPhone to factory settings via iTunes - no change in camera app performance.

The camera functions correctly in Facetime and other apps so it would seem to be the rear facing camera that is exhibiting this action.

Any ideas anyone. Will it just be best to see if an update is issued to fix this from Apple. Am confused.

Many thanks for any offers of help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
You've done the normal fixes.

I think that there has been a recent release to 6.1.1. You might want to look into that and try it. If not I'd send it back for replacement.

EDIT: I think this latest update is only iPhone 4S specific

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
You've done the normal fixes.

I think that there has been a recent release to 6.1.1. You might want to look into that and try it. If not I'd send it back for replacement.

EDIT: I think this latest update is only iPhone 4S specific

Many thanks for your reply Pendlewitch. Phoned Apple this morning and they concur that it is a hardware fault. They are replacing my iPhone 5.
Much obliged for responding to my post.

MacG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for your reply Pendlewitch. Phoned Apple this morning and they concur that it is a hardware fault. They are replacing my iPhone 5.
Much obliged for responding to my post.

MacG.

Yo MacG...cheers for response. Just listening to Black Diamond Radio over my ATV..you might find one of those women with swords singing on there :)

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yo MacG...cheers for response. Just listening to Black Diamond Radio over my ATV..you might find one of those women with swords singing on there :)

Cheers. Have never listened to Black Diamond Radio. However, as regards woman with sword, one found me. She is the Lady Vivien.
Cheers man, gave you some REP for your time.

MacG.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iPhone 5 arrived. Back up and running but have not upgraded to iOS 6.1 - any thoughts on whether it's worth it or am I being slightly paranoid, Pendlewitch?

MacG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello MacG,

Hey thanks for the rep that's excellent! Good to see you got the new phone and Lady Viv is looking after you.

Regarding the iOS6 problem it's had it's fair share of troubles mainly from a wi-fi connectivity point of view and disconnects from 3G and if you read the press the issues still haven't been resolved.

I think you're between a rock and a hard place because your camera problem could have been coincidental and if you weren't experiencing any of the other reported problems on your old phone then it's probably worth a gamble.

I guess it depends on what version you are on. If you're already on iOS6.0.2 and you have no problems then the update to 6.1 will be like sticking a band-aid on undamaged skin.

What is your current iOS6 version?

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacement phone came with iOS6.02 on it. Had to setup as new iPhone because it would not restore from my last 6.1 update before phone was sent back.
After creating as new phone checked everything, especially cameras front and back - all working as should.

Had no problems before after updating to 6.1 apart from camera issue which turned out to be hardware related and not software related so I have just updated the replacement to 6.1 and camera app all aok now.

MacG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.