Mail Drops Passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
I switched from a PC to a Mac several months ago. I vowed I would become familiar with all of the indigenous programs rather than start adding Microsoft programs. So far, I have held to that vow, but Mail is beginning to test my patience.

Mail has a bad habit of not being able to remember the passwords for the two Comcast accounts I use. Every so often I get a drop down asking for the password and once I provide it, I get a mail dump of everything that has been stacking up in the meantime.

Is this a common characteristic of Mail?

In addition, the lack of formatting capability makes me yearn for Outlook occasionally, but I am resisting the temptation to revert.

Rick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What version of OS X do you have? My Mail.app has been doing the same and it began with an update a few months back. Darn annoying since it'll work for a while and then randomly ask for the password that it already seems to know..

What's even more annoying is that I use application-specific passwords for GMail, so when I get the dropdown for GMail. I have no way of entering the password short of creating a new one and entering it..

I have tried deleting some of the .plist files associated with Mail.app to see if it would resolve the problem and it hasn't. I think I went into the Keychain and played around there without much luck..

So this is not a common characteristic of Mail.app, but something it seems to have developed of late, at least for me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Same for me too. I only have the one account and it's been happening on and off since I went to Lion and then Mountain Lion. It's like an annoying pop-up that you can't get rid of at times.

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
My OS is 10.8.2.

Rick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, same as mine. I hadn't been using Mail for a long time, so not sure if this problem was there in Lion, but pendlewitch seems to have it since then..so perhaps it's been around for a while..

Though, after this happened, I stopped using Mail..might try Thunderbird or some other third party app to see how it works..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I have multiple mail accounts that I use. I have never had a problem with gmail or my own domain mail, but I have the same password issue with yahoo, hotmail, and outlook.com. I find that by hitting Cancel, in a few minutes mail.app will retry and I have no further problems. My Mini came with Lion and I have had this issue since my machine was new. I did a clean install with Mountain Lion, same thing, all the way through the upgrade process to 10.8.2 also. Basically, I just tolerate it now.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hmm,

I remember a while back that I had frequent drop-outs and eventually cured it with some sage advice on here by extending the time interval between checks that the Mail app made on the server for new mail. I extended from 1 minute to 15 mins and have had a lot less drop outs since.

I read some research and people seem to think that it might be the server -side pop-account allowing access only every so often itself. Mail doesn't understand or receive the proper error message and comes back asking for a password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.