Windows XP installation in using Boot Camp Assistant

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to install Windows XP SP2 in my Mac machine which has snow leopard 10.6 version.When i boot via the windows CD,THe installation starts & comes to halt when it reaches the page,where it asks me to enter to start installation of windows.But when i press enter key, Its not proceeding to install ,but it seems to be hung.

Can any one help me out with this issue.

Thanks
Anil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A few more details about which Mac you have would help, but my first thought was that it's not detecting the keyboard.

Try using an external USB keyboard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,

My Mac version is Mac Pro 1.1,Dual core,2.66Ghz 1GB RAM, Machine.As u said,I am using a USB Key Board with the machine.

Anil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Make sure you have no other USB devices connected

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh,You mean to say,i should not even connect USB mouse.Right now,i have connected one USB mouse & a USB Keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. Just the keyboard.

You also need to ensure you have a full retail/OEM Windows XP sp2 disc

OP
A
Reaction score
Great, I am able to instal the OS after removing the mouse.Thanks for your advice.The installation is going on.I shall give you the status,once it is complete.Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff. Don't forget to install the bootcamp drivers from your Snow Leopard disc once XP is installed

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, I am done with installing the windows XP.Now what you mean by bootcamp drivers installation.Should i install the drivers from snow leopard 10.6 version disk?.What for are this drivers required?

Anil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put your Snow Leopard disc in and it will autorun. There's a setup routine that will install all the required hardware drivers.

It will also install Apple Software update which will bring updates as available (with you running XP there will be several now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're installing drivers into Windows, so you need to be booted into Windows.

If I were you I'd read the boot camp guide. It will fill in these kind of gaps

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi

I was able to install the windows drivers successfully.Thanks very much for your guidance. :)

Anil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ,I shall do that.

No, don't do that. No need, you'll just cause issues for yourself. That post (now deleted) was from someone just promoting their website.

Stick with the Apple supplied drivers.

The only driver you may want to go off-book for is the graphics driver if you're intending to game with your Mac.
In which case go to nVidia or ATIs site and get the mobile driver appropriate for your graphics card. But this is by no means essential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.