Strange headphone behavior

Reaction score
Like the title says , when I use my headphones in my macbook and view youtube videos all I hear is the background music and barely a whisper of the speech.I can unplug the headphones and everything is normal coming out of the speakers.This happens on any headphones that i use. I'm clueless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I remember being perplexed with a similar problem with my new iPhone a couple of years ago until I discovered that I wasn't pushing the jack plug in far enough.

OP
S
Reaction score
That would be great if that was the case but everything was working fine until one day . All headphones sound the same way with it. If you play a video that has background music and speech over top of that all you hear is the background music.in full stereo.The speech is supposed to be louder than the background music but it is not. If I unplug the headphones and let the video play through the speakers, the speech is louder than the background music like it should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok,

It's strange. Why don't you try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM because information regarding speaker volume is stored in there.

About NVRAM and PRAM

OP
S
Reaction score
That was a great suggestion about resetting the PRAM/NVRAM . It worked for about 30 minutes then went back to what it was doing before. I'm wondering about doing a re-install.Or unless there is a way to update sound drivers like Windows Device manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was a great suggestion about resetting the PRAM/NVRAM . It worked for about 30 minutes then went back to what it was doing before. I'm wondering about doing a re-install.Or unless there is a way to update sound drivers like Windows Device manager

Ok shuless, thank you.

Try it again but this time run a 'Repair Disk Permissions' on your hard drive in Disk Utility both before and after the reset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.