best back up for grahic design?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a graphic designer, print projects mostly. I use a lot of photos and graphics made in Illustrator. I need to buy an external hard drive for Time machine back up and storage of files. I've got an iMac OS X v 10.6.8 Processor: 2GHz Intel Cor 2 duo Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

This is the one I'm looking at. Is it a good choice? Designers comments would be most appreciated :)

Seagate - Backup Plus 3TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Server 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz
I use a Synology DS-713+ NAS and love it ... lots of room and VERY quiet.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Going with a single HD for Time Machine is fine, but if that one HD fails then you lose your data. A lot of NAS' now can act as a HD for Time Machine as well. With this option, you can RAID on top of Time Machine. So your data is protected against single drive failures..

OP
S
Reaction score
Going with a single HD for Time Machine is fine, but if that one HD fails then you lose your data. A lot of NAS' now can act as a HD for Time Machine as well. With this option, you can RAID on top of Time Machine. So your data is protected against single drive failures..

Thanks a lot I'll consider that!
What about this one? iomega 35541 2TB EZ Media & Backup Center

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I use a Synology DS-713+ NAS and love it ... lots of room and VERY quiet.

Synology 1812+ here. Wonderful device.

BUT....if you want true backup you need more than one device.

Files on you computer ( I use Raid 1 so I have a mirror drive)

Backup on a second device ( I like the Synology NAS since the files are available over he network)

A portable backup you can take offsite. I use Seagate 3TB externals and rotate them every few weeks to an offsite location.

BTW, I do this for my advertising photography images and personal data.

I do my Time Machine and Carbon copy clones to externals in a dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.