Desktop Icons disappearing at the top of Mission Control

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started having this problem out of the blue (along with some trackpad unresponsiveness at login). When I do a three finger swipe to access Mission control, the desktop icons at the top are missing. It appears that I can still click on the general area they should be in to access them, but they are not displayed. This seems to be some sort of bug. Between this and the unresponsive trackpad at login, I am a bit concerned about my MBA being a lemon. I would think it was more of a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue though. I have repaired permissions and restarted. Usually the desktops will come back after a restart only to disappear later on down the road. Has anyone else had this similar problem? From a google search I was able to find some individuals with a similar issue regarding mission control but their solution had to do with removing software that seemed to be triggering the problem. I do not have that software on my computer, so it has to be coming from somewhere else. Thanks for any tips or suggestions. I included a picture of the problem, and I am running ML 10.8.2 Thanks!
Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 6.49.49 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.