Macbook Pro Battery Life?

Reaction score
Today I took my Macbook Pro to a Panera and plugged it in and the little green thing did not light up on the plug. After moving it to a different plug, I realized it was not charging. I didn't have this problem at home, BTW. So I just went on the battery without the plug. After one and a half hours, I was down to 39%. So I was able to get an appointment at the Genius Bar and took it over. They plugged my computer into something and said they were doing something to charge it up, I don't know, but then all of a sudden my plug seemed to work fine.

They said my battery was at the end of its life and I needed a new one. I have had this Macbook Pro for only 2 years. Does this sound right? If so, why, as I am sitting back at home, is my green light on just fine? It does say 97%, not 100% but still. Is this like when you get a jump with your car, it works for a little while but then you need a new battery? They said it would be $179 and would take 3 days, not covered on the extended warranty. They also said there is a problem with my bluetooth that would be covered.

So I am wondering are they just trying to sell me a new battery or do I need one? And is there a way to test this myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How many cycles does the battery have ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, if it does turn out you need a new battery, do not buy it from Apple. You can purchase a third party battery that is better than the Apple battery for much less. I'll provide a link for you at the end of this post.

In the meantime, download and install the free "coconutBattery" from here. That will tell you the condition of your battery.

You can purchase a battery from Other World Computing which is an authorized Apple reseller: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
 > About This Mac > More Info >System Report > Power > Health Information should state cycle count and battery condition.

OP
Z
Reaction score
First, if it does turn out you need a new battery, do not buy it from Apple. You can purchase a third party battery that is better than the Apple battery for much less. I'll provide a link for you at the end of this post.

In the meantime, download and install the free "coconutBattery" from here. That will tell you the condition of your battery.

You can purchase a battery from Other World Computing which is an authorized Apple reseller: LINK

This is what it says.

Screenshot2013-02-10at80123PM_zps0ccd5baf.png
[/IMG]

OP
Z
Reaction score
 > About This Mac > More Info >System Report > Power > Health Information should state cycle count and battery condition.

Its all Greek to me! This is what it says.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: 9G0320XCPD3MA
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0201
Hardware Revision: 0002
Cell Revision: 0158
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3435
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3540
Health Information:
Cycle count: 39
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -299
Voltage (mV): 11867

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 60
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x007c79aa
Charging: No

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The coconutBattery app shows your battery condition as having lost approximately 39% of its capacity. You can probably use it for a little while but it needs to be replaced for sure. Go to the link I provided you for Other World Computing and check their batteries. Make sure you order the right one. You can give them a call on their toll free line and ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.