flash player

Reaction score
wondering would anyone be able to help , i have tried to install flash player on my mac book pro ,on various occasions but regardless of what i do i cannot get it installed , any advice most welcome

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
wondering would anyone be able to help , i have tried to install flash player on my mac book pro ,on various occasions but regardless of what i do i cannot get it installed , any advice most welcome

What precludes you from doing so? Is there an error message? At what point in the process does it fail?

What version of OS X are you running? What browser are you using?

OP
D
Reaction score
There is no error message and each time I install it it tells me it is successfully installed but then when I try use a site which needs flash I am told I need to install flash. I am using safari on OS x 10.8.2. haven't a clue what the problem is.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no error message and each time I install it it tells me it is successfully installed but then when I try use a site which needs flash I am told I need to install flash. I am using safari on OS x 10.8.2. haven't a clue what the problem is.

Which website are you trying to visit where this message is displayed?

If you go into Safari => Help menu => Installed Plug-ins, do you see Flash listed as one of the installed Plug-ins?

OP
D
Reaction score
one example of a site is the audio commentary from paddy power , I can get in as far as the audio commentary but when I try to go in to a particular race there is no sound . I have contacted the company and they say there are no reported problems with their site. Also I have gone into safari > help > installed plug-ins but there doesn't seem to be any such topic , there are 4 options but none for installed plug-ins. I know I sound brainless but I cannot seem to find the solution to this problem

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one example of a site is the audio commentary from paddy power , I can get in as far as the audio commentary but when I try to go in to a particular race there is no sound . I have contacted the company and they say there are no reported problems with their site. Also I have gone into safari > help > installed plug-ins but there doesn't seem to be any such topic , there are 4 options but none for installed plug-ins. I know I sound brainless but I cannot seem to find the solution to this problem

One thing you could try is to download and install Google Chrome and try using the site with that browser instead of Safari. Chrome has its own version of Flash built into the browser itself, so you needn't install a standalone plug-in.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also I have gone into safari > help > installed plug-ins but there doesn't seem to be any such topic , there are 4 options but none for installed plug-ins.
It opens up a new tab in Safari and doesn't show up as a help window.

Is this a video as well as audio or is it just audio? Do you get some sort of error message or does nothing load at all?

OP
D
Reaction score
it is just the audio commentary , there is no error message , just nothing at al happens.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is just the audio commentary , there is no error message , just nothing at al happens.

It might just be the site. This is why I recommended using Google Chrome as an experiment. It's a valid test because you'll be using an entirely different build of Flash Player, and a different mechanism for displaying the content. If it fails in both ways, then chances are it's the site that has a problem and not your machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have also tried it on chrome instead of safari but again nothing

Ah, OK - so that would suggest that you don't have a problem, they do. Perhaps they're not using Flash at all, and maybe it's another plug-in that you don't have.

Can you provide the specific URL so that we can get eyes on it?

OP
D
Reaction score
i would tend to agree except I have been trying it for weeks now without any success and paddy power keep telling me there is nothing wrong with the audio on their site. Thanks for your input anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would tend to agree except I have been trying it for weeks now without any success and paddy power keep telling me there is nothing wrong with the audio on their site. Thanks for your input anyway.

I think we have reached an impasse, unless you can provide an example URL.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I go to this site:

Online Betting from Paddy Power

And immediately, I see that the middle element here:

00000337.png

...is powered by Flash. So, if you DON'T have Flash installed, and/or it's not working, then you wouldn't see this element at all.

There's really no half-way here, it either works or it doesn't. So, if that displays for you, you're good on the Flash piece. We need to turn focus over to other plug-ins.

Here's a few you should install before we go any further:

Flip4Mac adds Windows Media Player support to Quicktime, which should cover that piece.

Perian is a collection of different kinds of codecs needed to view multimedia content.

VLC is a media player and collection of codecs that do the same.

Finally, Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Flash and is growing in popularity amongst sites.

With these installed, you should be covered for the full spectrum of different kinds of content.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for all your help . I have to wait until tomorrow until I see if all these interventions have worked. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.