I've lost my shared section in the sidebar

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I want to share a VM Fusion virtual machine between two users on my new iMac but I'm having serious issues.

First, I found some instructions online about drag dropping (to move) the file to the shared folder. I can't find a shared folder...it's not on the sidebar where I recall seeing it in the past. I've also seen briefly (it comes and goes) a shared section where my PC will appear but it doesn't stick.

I went to my administrator account and ensured the admin account public folder was shared with both users. That finally worked but I was surprised not to see a shared section on the sidebar...and I found it initially painful to navigate to that folder from the other user.

After all that, I tried opening a VM Fusion windows file (the whole reason for this pain) and it won't open...insufficient privileges. I followed these instructions but they didn't work either.

1. Should I (and if so how) have a shared section on the sidebar with multiple users? Or is that just with computers?
  2. Where is the shared folder...should it appear on the sidebar?
  3. I used to have the computer on the sidebar as well but now it's gone

I'm starting to get stressed out. The Mac "it just works" concept is not proving true.

Ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm starting to get stressed out. The Mac "it just works" concept is not proving true.

Ideas?

Thanks

Most problems are from people NOT KNOWING what their doing or what to do.

Im not sure if its the Shared Folder ur looking for but the Shared Section in Finder sidebar, where the VM should show up.

Open Finder and bring up Finder Preferences with the cmd + , keys 0r Finder Preferences from menu bar, click on Sidebar and select/de-select what you want in there,
See simple and it just works :p

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Been there..done that. Nothing changes. Give me a little credit :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Been there..done that. Nothing changes. Give me a little credit :)

It's a written forum. We don't know you, or your skills. We can only go on what you write. If you don't tell us what you've tried, we have no idea where to start. Make sense?

No credit cards here. ;)

You're trying to share between a Mac and a Windows PC, and it's automatically the Mac's fault when you don't know how to do it? Hmmm.

Your item #3 suggests that you did something to mess up what you had going for you. Again, we have no idea what that was. Do you?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The PC has nothing to do with this (I tried connecting them a long time ago and failed miserably...I decided dropbox and/or a shared NAS was good enough).

For the most immediate issue I moved the file in question to the shared folder un "users", but long term I was hoping to identify a folder of mine to share with her and it would show up somewhere. Still not sure if I have that figured out or not.

Let's say I share a folder with her. On a PC it would just appear under my computer name as an accessible folder. How does she see a shared folder of mine when she's logged in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.