Adobe Flash Player install problem on many Macs

Reaction score
I'm seeing a LOT of messages about the problems MANY of us are having trying to install Flash Player after the previous version locked up with no choice.

As many Mac-users, I am pretty fed up by all the circles I've been forced to run in an attempt to be able to see ANY video or film that requires this plug-in.

I have no idea what to do and am resisting paying Adobe (curse their black souls forever) for an issue THEY caused. Does ANYONE out there know the way out of this quicksand?
Thank you!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I removed your email address - we don't do personal service and you should refrain from making your email public (so as to prevent you from getting spammed).

What problems are you having specifically? Can you install it or does it not install at all? Have you tried a different browser?

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have a different browser. As for personal service, what do you mean?
I thought I was voicing a need that many of us have and hoping to come up with some answer. The reason I left my email address is that I didn't know how to get to the answer(s) that may or may not come in. I didn't want to wait and watch.
Specifically, I was blocked yesterday from viewing any movie due to the plug-in being replaced by the new version. Adobe won't let me use the old version that works fine. That would be great except every time I go to install the upgraded version, it stalls right at 52% on the progress bar. I've seen many other emails saying that exact same thing, right down to the percentage of progress. I was hoping someone would come up with an answer for all of us suffering with this problem.
Thomas

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't have a different browser. As for personal service, what do you mean?
As an online forum, discussions take place in the public - we don't engage in email conversations to solve problems. 'Tis the nature of forums.

Specifically, I was blocked yesterday from viewing any movie due to the plug-in being replaced by the new version. Adobe won't let me use the old version that works fine.
You can use whichever version you like - nothing precludes you from downgrading. Use the uninstaller here and reinstall the older version if you'd prefer to have that.

That would be great except every time I go to install the upgraded version, it stalls right at 52% on the progress bar. I've seen many other emails saying that exact same thing, right down to the percentage of progress. I was hoping someone would come up with an answer for all of us suffering with this problem.
Try uninstalling it using the uninstaller provided above and try again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The reason I left my email address is that I didn't know how to get to the answer(s) that may or may not come in. I didn't want to wait and watch.

"Wait and watch" is the way internet forums work. So you just have to check back with this thread from time to time.

The "personal service" part...means we don't "personally" e-mail folks with answers. Answers are posted in threads on the forum...so all folks can benefit from the responses.

If you want to...you can "subscribe" to a thread. When response's to the thread are made...you get an e-mail alerting you.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Your suggestion of uninstalling and then going back to the earlier version would be great if it weren't for the original problem: That plug-in is now blocked, REQUIRING an updated one from Adobe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try to uninstall it completely using the uninstaller from Adobe and then reinstall the most current version?

I see no "subscribe" button anywhere to follow a thread.
Go to Thread Tools (above your first post) and then click the subscribe option.

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay...I just tried it AGAIN with no luck. Here's what happens:
Adobe Flash Player 11 installation sequence:
initializes then goes to installation. Progress bar passes to 50%, slows then 51, 52 and stops with message: Error: General Installation error
Here is a list of troubleshooting recommended by Adobe and my actions:
Install the latest version of Flash Player for your browser. Follow these steps:
1. Verify that your computer meets the system requirements for Flash Player.
It does
2. Determine whether an older Flash Player version is already installed on your Mac.
It is
3. Download and install the latest Flash Player version.
Does NOT install...stops at 52% progress bar
4. Verify that installation is complete.
It's not
5. Uninstall the older Flash Player version*(if the installation is not successful for any reason).
Done
6. Troubleshoot: Flash Player download issues*(if necessary).
Done...no change
7. Troubleshoot: Progress bar hangs while installing Flash Player
No...stops at 52% and reads: "Error: Genereal Installation Error, in it redundant way.

OP
T
Reaction score
Update: I still can play some of Netflix Instant Play programs. The question is why them and not other movies? I have attempted to install earlier versions of Flash Player with no luck.

I've uninstalled every Flash Player plug-in and am waiting for someone to advise. Adobe has been ZERO help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netflix uses Silverlight, not Flash.

I don't know if the old plugin is blocking things but take a look to see if it's installed. Open up Finder and push Shift-Command-G and enter "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/" (without the quotes). If you see a "Flash Player.plugin" and "flashplayer.xpt", remove them. Try reinstalling.

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay. It sure seems like there's something flagged. I had that thought earlier but wasn't sure how to address it. Thanks! I'll try that and let you know.

OP
T
Reaction score
Real Player and Quicktime are the only plug-ins there that have anything to do with film/video player (at least that I recognize). I did a pretty clean sweep in the uninstall of Flash Player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.