New Router issue

Reaction score
I have recently installed a new Talktalk router to upgrade my previous very old NetGear router. The family MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are both faster as a result.

However, I am now unable to connect to certain web sites. Is it possible the settings on the new router are preventing access and if so, how do I get into the router settings and what settings should be changed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Can you go into the router and change the DNS settings? Something like 4.2.2.2 for the primary and maybe 8.8.8.8 for the secondary

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for this and will give it a try.

While I am in there, is it possible that the security level might be too high?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends what kind of inspection the security is doing, for a home based router I can't see it needing to be any higher than low-medium if it gives you the option to change it

OP
S
Reaction score
New Router Issue

The router security was set to WPA/WPA2 mixed mode. I reset it to WPA mode only and I can now access the site I was previously denied.

Is the security level now too low?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the wireless security, different to what I thought you meant by router security, is there an option for WPA2 only? If not as long as the key has a Capital letter some lower case and a number or two you should be fine on WPA which is not as strong as WPA2 but still as effective.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have upgraded security to WPA 2 and the websites are still accessible so mnay thanks for the super advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.