keyboard left arrow doesn't work

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro's left arrow is not functioning.

I configured a bluetooth keyboard on the Macbook Pro and the left arrow still didn't work using the bluetooth keyboard !!

I then configured the bluetooth keyboard to my ipad and the left arrow worked!

This leads me to to believe that there is a problem in the Mac itself and not in the Macbook Pro keyboard?

An ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does the left arrow fail to work in all apps, or just certain ones?

Create a new user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists. If it works as expected on the new user, then this should be an easy fix. Most likely a corrupt preference of some sort.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for answering lifeisabeach!

Did as u suggested. Created new account left arrow didn't work. Problem occurs in everything I use, e.g., ms word, excel, address book, calendar, move of iicon highlighting, and many others. I haven't seen it work in anything I've tried.

Tried the tip: about replacing .GlobalPreferences.plist but it didn't help.

Am I correct that terminal executes each line immediately after typing and hitting return?

That's what I did so I'm assuming the backup, delete, and replacement was done properly but it didn't fix the problem.

thanks and regards
vats3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since it's failing on both user accounts, I can't think of any system plists to try deleting other than the one you did already.

Try resetting the PRAM. I think it stores some settings related to the keyboard.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

If that fails, try running Onyx and use its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Reboot once done.

If that fails, check these troubleshooting steps from Apple:
One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.