SSD speed dips

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my first apple product...
I have a 9 month old 13" MBP
All stock so 2.4g i5 Intel, 4 GB RAM, and 500GB HDD
Late 2011 build
I was going to push it to it's limit with 16GB of Crucial RAM
For the SSD though I've read reviews ranging from "BEST UPGRADE EVAR" that some buyers posted a week after purchase to quite a few "3-6 months later and my MBP has lost all the speed it gained after I installed the SSD".
Is something other mac owners have experienced after an SSD upgrade? I did some digging and saw that, before I bought my MBP Apple had a firmware update to be more SATA compatible(source: 2011 MacBook Pro SATA Problems Resolved! | Other World Computing Blog)

I'm not unhappy with the performance of the machine by any means, I wasn't planning on upgrading at least until after a year of ownership, but I ran into some really awful load times playing a game my friend has tried to get me into on Steam(Team Fortress 2) I'm not a gamer, so I'm not looking to make this into a gamer system, but I'd like to play a game once in awhile with little issue, but I think that's a different question for a different forum so I'll cut myself short.
I was going to go with a Crucial 256GB SSD because I trust the brand well enough. Has anyone else upgraded and noticed a loss in speed after initial bootup or within a few months? What are some other good SSDs that would work nicely in a MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have used OWC, Kingston and G.Skill drives, and other than a couple dying and being replaced under warranty, no speed drop whatsoever. One question. You do not intend placing the SSD in the optical drive bay by any chance? That may see less performance. Mactracker lists the 2.4 as a 2010 model with only 3GB/s SATA speed.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, this would replace my existing HDD.
I'm not quite ready to lose my optical drive yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I've heard of people needing to manually enable TRIM on their drives to prevent their slowdowns from occurring so the drive can remove "junk" files. I only installed my SSD a few weeks ago and had to manually enable TRIM as OSX only supports it officially on Apple supplied drives so I guess im a little early to notice anything just yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I ended up going with the 256GB Vertex 4. It is absolutely amazing.

I had to use this to enable TRIM on it though.

Trim Enabler | groths.org

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Crucial M4 256GB, which has been rock solid, with no degradation of performance, in my early 2011 MacBook Pro. I too use the aforementioned TRIM enabler and have done so since I installed the drive in 12/2011.

I'd take user reviews worth a grain of salt, unless there is an unusually high occurrence of the same complaint, particularly when it comes to technology. There are a lot of people out there that fancy themselves as technically savvy, but are complete idiots - and they tend to be very vocal.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd say every low rating came from someone making the same complaint about reduced speed after a few months of use. No one mentioned whether or not they had used TRIM so I assume not.
There were similar complaints across several manufacturer's SSDs.
When I upgrade I think I'll just use TRIM and hope for the best. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't believe all your read on the 'net. Probably 90% of buyers with problems report problems and maybe on 10% report good news. Like newspapers ~ bad news sells.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.