• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
5-inch iPhone 6 after all that talk about the current size being perfect for one hand operation and all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
2 types of iPhones released together or in the same year? Not likely.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
2 types of iPhones released together or in the same year? Not likely.

There's that too..so far it seems to be <number> and <number>S versions one year apart..hard to believe that the trend will change this year..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I disagree. I think Apple will release a 5" version concurrent with the existing version. And why not? There is a demand for a 5 incher (not for me, mind you), and they already have demonstrated they aren't afraid to sell the iPad in 2 sizes. Someone crunched the numbers and it's doable using the screen panels used in the iPad (maxi sized one) cut down to the resolution of the iPhone 5. It'd also fill a gap that now exists in their product lineup. The article I'll link to can better explain that.
A crazier prediction: iPhone Plus is real, and huge – Marco.org

Another interesting take at what the options, upsides, and downsides would be in making a 5 incher.
Imagining a 5-inch iPhone | iMore.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will believe it when I see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If Apple went out and did a 5” screen phone, i think they will need to dump the “iPhone” moniker and look at a different iOS or OS for it, because i would hate to have that real estate on a phone and it be completely covered with rows and columns of icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If Apple went out and did a 5” screen phone, i think they will need to dump the “iPhone” moniker and look at a different iOS or OS for it, because i would hate to have that real estate on a phone and it be completely covered with rows and columns of icons

That's exactly what I was thinking.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If Apple went out and did a 5” screen phone ... would hate to have that real estate on a phone and it be completely covered with rows and columns of icons

You mean... like the iPad? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It wouldn't be any more icons than the existing iPhone 5. And you can limit the number you have per screen anyway by moving the apps into folders and making more home screens. But I do empathize with your point and to be honest... I am a bit bored with the iOS UI. I'm tempted to move everything off my first home screen (except one app to make it stick), then just use Spotlight to run my apps, just like I do on OS X. I might even find that faster than trying to find them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wouldn't be any more icons than the existing iPhone 5. And you can limit the number you have per screen anyway by moving the apps into folders and making more home screens. But I do empathize with your point and to be honest... I am a bit bored with the iOS UI. I'm tempted to move everything off my first home screen (except one app to make it stick), then just use Spotlight to run my apps, just like I do on OS X. I might even find that faster than trying to find them.

Funny you should mention using the search as a launcher (even on iOS). Despite having spent hours of my life organizing and sorting icons, I do the same. It's so much quicker than having to dig.

I agree, Apple needs to do something to spruce up iOS soon, even if it's just some way of categorizing apps so that it's efficient to find them - and maybe even a "Dashboard" like screen that comes up initially and is customizable to give you the most frequently needed data at a glance. Oh, and while I'm at it... I would like to be able to set my default browser and maps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've thought this over and over many times. I question how I would redo iOS if I could redesign it. This is what I want:
-Customizable layout of icons, with no axis lock.
-Allow for widgets, and interactive icons.
-Utilize lock screen for interacting with main features of the phone, without having to unlock it(like glancing through calls, messages, media, and such).
-Allow for deletion of stupid system icons/apps.
-Allow for customizable home screen layouts(like what you can do when you jailbreak it).

Most important feature- not make it a requirement to have apps on the home screen. Create an icon/folder/app that stores the apps, and lets you place the desired apps onto your home screen. Hiding them in a folder is just silly.

Here's the funny part: these are all what I want on the iOS that can be found on Android OS. For that reason, if iOS integrated anything like what I want, it would appear that they copied them. Apple is in a pickle. What I've grown to like, is something that they most likely will not do. They'll have to change something drastically. Then I come back to the question of what I would do if I could design it....and it goes round and round again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny you should mention using the search as a launcher (even on iOS). Despite having spent hours of my life organizing and sorting icons, I do the same. It's so much quicker than having to dig.

I agree, Apple needs to do something to spruce up iOS soon, even if it's just some way of categorizing apps so that it's efficient to find them - and maybe even a "Dashboard" like screen that comes up initially and is customizable to give you the most frequently needed data at a glance. Oh, and while I'm at it... I would like to be able to set my default browser and maps.

I decided to jailbreak my 4S this morning to accomplish a few things I've found iOS lacking in that increasingly aggravate me. It's been a couple years since I last did so with my 3GS, but the first thing I'm throwing on here is SBSettings to get at toggles for DND, BT, and more without digging through the Settings app. I'd REALLY like to be able to tell Siri to toggle those for me one day, but for now SBS is the best for this. Also looking forward to changing my default browser and hiding some included iOS apps that I don't even use.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Really, iOS could borrow Android's flexibility when it comes to determining what's on the home screen. Let the user decide what is and isn't visible. They don't even have to take the Android route and develop an app tray (I don't know what else to call it) that you open but at least let the end user decide what's there. This is part of the reason that I jailbroke my iPod Touch.

TM, the simple route around the expanded real estate is do what they did with the iPad - increase the spacing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You mean... like the iPad? ;)

Yes like the iPad . . . . . Actually NO because they are 2 different devices used for different things ;)

TM, the simple route around the expanded real estate is do what they did with the iPad - increase the spacing. ;)

As Above . . . . . . Actually NO ~ Read below :p

But I do empathize with your point and to be honest... I am a bit bored with the iOS UI.

I think this is where im at, at the moment. I m lookimg at it this way, and ill use the car as a analogy. You buy a car in 2013 and it looks completely different on the outside, but once you step in and sit down, the dashboard, speedo console, steering wheel controls, and the stereo come NAV unit it very similar to identical.
Yes i should of done my homework, BUT im in the car 99% of the time im with it. The other 1% is me walking up to it and admiring it as i get in to drive away, but im looking around and im bored with it. Nothing has changed. Yes it works flawlessly (dont fix what aint broke) but im a little disappointed because its the same . . . . .
Dont take it the wrong way, i love iOS, the intergration with my Mac and the ease of use, BUT i would like more control over the scren real estate.
Where i can put icons. I have a great pic as a wallpaper, but why have a pic like that when i cant see the bloody thing. I would be staoked if i could outline it with icons. Have a option of doubling/tripling the size of a icon, so once pressed, once or twicw, it increases with size with more info showing.
Weather App being a prime example . . .

Thats where im at :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been looking over a lot of the new tweaks in Cydia since jalibreaking. There are a lot of GREAT things this opens up. I now have it set up to open my flashlight app when I triple-press the home button. SBSettings (for toggling an array of system options) now optionally resides in the Notification Center, which I've done. My default web browser is now set to Mercury. There is an option to set the default maps app to Google Maps, though that doesn't interest me in particular. I now pull up the Switcher by swiping up, rather than a double-press of the home button. Oh... and the News Stand icon/folder that is just wasting space? OUTTA HERE! The array of options for assigning actions to various combinations of swipes, pinches, and button clicks (you can even set an action to run by hitting the up and down volume buttons rapidly) is just mind numbing. And that's not even the radical stuff that's available. But it is reminding me of just how far behind the game Apple is here. I haven't done anything that should be available now in iOS to everyone. Even my wife had me jailbreak hers when I showed her what SBSettings can do because she really needs fast access to a couple of those toggles.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Even my wife had me jailbreak hers when I showed her what SBSettings can do because she really needs fast access to a couple of those toggles.
Join the club. I got very use to having quick access on my Android phone so I installed SBSettings and set the toggles here as well for my iPod Touch. It's not so urgent with the Touch but when you get use to it, you find yourself looking for them on every touch device.

EDIT

My default web browser is now set to Mercury.
Just found out about Nitrous which, if you don't use Safari, you may want to install. In short, it removes the limits Apple set on JS performance for non-Safari browsers meaning that they'll fly once you install this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, question - given that Jailbreaks (particularly the untethered variety) require some kind of exploit to commence, what would stop the author of said Jailbreak from installing a rootkit or other malware in my phone? The only reason I have shied away from it is that I don't trust hacking teams like this.

Imagine having a huge botnet of always-on, always-connected small computers at your command. Let alone, the possibility of data harvesting from said botnet. You'd really have to trust the guys who are supplying this software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, question - given that Jailbreaks (particularly the untethered variety) require some kind of exploit to commence, what would stop the author of said Jailbreak from installing a rootkit or other malware in my phone? The only reason I have shied away from it is that I don't trust hacking teams like this.

Imagine having a huge botnet of always-on, always-connected small computers at your command. Let alone, the possibility of data harvesting from said botnet. You'd really have to trust the guys who are supplying this software.

I know you shouldnt trust everything you read on the net, but pod2g who i followed when i JB my phone is a Apple Sercurity Expert and this from his blog . . . .Apple iOS Security Research [ note that I'm against piracy: no sim unlock, installous, xsellize, etc.
I have faith in what he is doing and believe he wouldnt rty to do over who he is trying to help.
Im sure as well, if there was something callous in his code, that some one else looking at his code (who are goodies) if they found something, they would let people know ?!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's certainly a fair question. The guys doing the actual jailbreaking are actually not anonymous hackers despite their code names. So they have a LOT to lose if they release something malicious, not just their freedom but their very reputations. There are a lot of eyes on these jailbreak tools and if anything was compromised, I have no doubt it'd be caught within hours. Obviously, get the jailbreak tool from the original source, not a 3rd party who may have modified it.

As far as the actual software, I imagine that gets a lot dicier. It's really no different from the Android platform. You can get apps via Cydia and the app repositories that they make available from the get go, with the most well known one being Big Boss. They do sell apps and have a big incentive to maintain their own reputation. Big Boss in particular also has a number of requirements that must be met before they will host an app, including one requiring code signing. It's possible to add other repositories to Cydia, but that's getting into territory where the repo may be shadier and more likely to be serving up malware. I don't know IF that is going on like it is on Android, but ultimately it's the same concept and risk. Of course one could just get an Android, but then you wouldn't have access to the iOS App Store and ecosystem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.