wireless and login issues

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I could use some help. I dont know how to post my logs on here, but I can say im running the latest version of mountain lion on my macbook pro 2011. I just did a fresh re-installation of my mac and still have these problems.

So here are the two issues:

1) logging-in... I never am able to load my desktop the first time. I always run into problems, where after entering my username and password at the grey screen it starts to appear as if it will load and then the spinning pinwheel comes up and just keeps going. This happened a couple of times and sometimes the screen will turn blue or the desktop will appear (just the desktop picture) but then the same pinwheel appears and I have to hold the power button to shut down the computer and try again. It usually takes about 3-4 times before I can get a successful login.

2) wireless... I get this error every once in awhile - but more common than not. The wireless keeps trying to connect to my wireless (either at home or work) router but after awhile just says "The connection timed-out". Sometimes I can be using my wireless without any problems, and then all-of-a-sudden it stops. If I use the drop-down list I can see my network with full wireless strength but when I select it, that same error always pops up. I can try to turn off the wireless and turn it on, but it doesn't matter - same thing will happen unless I restart my computer. Also, sometimes there is an "!" [Exclamation mark] in the wireless symbol.

Thank you all for taking the time to read that and please forgive any typos or grammar mistakes - it's hard to put it all into two paragraphs.

I appreciate any advice. If you would like to see my log files please tell me how to post them and where they are located.

Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would take it to an Apple Store as this sounds like the issue I had last year with a logic board.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply osxx.

Can I ask you guys 1 quick question: Does swopping out your cd drive for another hd void your warranty? Ive had it for about a year and a half. Should I put the CD drive back in before taking it?

I was told at the time that it did not but I want to be sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This changes things I did not know you where running 2 HD's so it may just be an issue with 2 drives I can not help you with this.

OP
N
Reaction score
well, it turns out - after some experimenting with my login items - intego internet security seems to be the culprit. It's a shame b.c Im one of those people that really worries about that stuff (identity theft and such). So How needed is a virus scanner/ more importantly an internet security program needed on your mac?

Thanks again for your help. This appears to be only software related and not hardware-based, which is good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not needed on a Mac never used one and usually they cause more problems and slow performance down.
Just keep your software up to date and get it straight from the vendor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.