Partial migration

Reaction score
I used Migration Assistant to move stuff to a new (to me) MacBook Pro from my old MacBook. I used a wireless connection, and 11 hours later it had stalled at Transferring System Settings. But it had moved my files etc. onto the new laptop, and my old identity opened when I put in my password. What I don't know is what did not transfer. Should I wipe it clean and start again, using the Firewire I have since bought, or start using it and see what doesn't work the way it did on the old machine? I also created a new identity when I started up the new machine, and I now need to get rid of it. How do I do that? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would wipe it clean and start over with the Firewire hookup. Make sure, however, that you do not create a user account on the new machine before doing the migration, otherwise you will wind up with two accounts and lots of confusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.