iPod charging

Reaction score
While on holiday I am charging my iTouch from my MacBook Air. Sometimes the iTouch gives me a message that it cannot charge from this device "charging is not supported with this accessory" and sometimes it doesn't. Is there a way to ensure that it always does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The voltage from the Air is not sufficient from the USB especially if the Touch is on or the battery is low on the Air use the charger that came with the Touch.
You did not state what model/year the Air was but newer Mac's have stepped up the voltage on USB and should charge it .

OP
John F
Reaction score
Charge iPod from Mac Air

Thanks, the problem is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and after a reboot it will run for a while and then stop charging with an error message for no clear reason.

MacAir info' attached.

John F

macair.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated above your MBA is not supplying enough steady current via USB to charge the Touch. Unless you want to eventually take out your USB circuitry, it's probably best to use the charger that came with the Touch.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Of interest is that my Galaxy Tab can detect the charging capacity of the USB into which it is plugged. Connected to a computer or small AC-USB adapter it trickle charges, but if using the Samsung charger that came with it or an Apple USB adapter it charges at the full rate. Of interest, I found that the Flip Video charger (Flip cameras are notroriously picky about what can charge them) also works well. It would be nice if future versions of iPod Touch had the same capability (perhaps they do already?).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Supposedly the newer iPhones are capable of the same thing, however, Apple in the past has recommended that iPhones and especially newer iPads use the charger that came with them.

My iPad 3 with retina screen charges OK from my iMac but I still would rather use the charger that came with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.